Thymolised syrup (Hivemaker ??)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbobby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5+
I was going to drip oxalic acid in the next few weeks. However, I recently broke my leg in the snow and I will be unable to arrange this at my away apiary as I am non-weight bearing until another 6 weeks minimum.This would be too late brood-wise for an OA application.

I successfully administered Apiguard in September 2010 and was interested in using Thymolised syrup (Hivemaster recipe) after the honey flow in 2011. However, given my currently mobility problem I am now wonder whether using Thymolised syrup feed (in say February) might have some merit. Or would I risk tainting comb and cells for the remainder of the honey season? I would particularly be interested in Hivemakers opinion given his in depth experience.

Last edited:
Sussex Beek - in need of OA assistance - hot tea supplied

Bad luck on the leg GoodBobby,

I guess that HM is in his bunk about now.

If you were doing a shook swarm then I think that you would be safe feeding thymolised syrup while they draw out brood comb, but obviously you can't do that on your own.

Is there anyone near to you that might be your right leg man for a while. A newbee in need of a mentor, even for a short while. Lifting for learning? Or a regular beek that is also OA his colonies over the next month or so. In fact I would hazard a guess that anyone administering OA is likely to have more than enough surplus to look after two colonies rather than throwing it away. Standard rate for the job is a cup of tea I understand . . . :)

I fully approve of the thymolated syrup in the autumn feed . . . as if I'm an authority on the subject . . . ha ha.

Get well soon. Hopefully someone will give you a PM in the morning and HM will better answer your question.

PS tell HM that you read about the thymolated syrup in Yates . . .

help offered

good bobby - where in surrey are you? i'm happy to do the OA trickle for you when i get back after new year. do you have ready mixed? (i have a big pot and proper lab scales!)

good bobby - where in surrey are you? i'm happy to do the OA trickle for you when i get back after new year. do you have ready mixed? (i have a big pot and proper lab scales!)
Hi DRS
As I suspect you realise I am in a bit of a pickle with the situation. I have sent you a PM to see if you can help
regards Goodbobby

goodbobby

hi - i haven't received any pm.

can you resend?

i can sort something out for you if not too far after new year.

Richard

Bob Broken leg

DRS

I am having problems with sending a PM also emailing you via forum.

My secure away apiary is in South Croydon . Rather than put you in picture here could you ring me on Any-time before 11.30pm

I will understand if you cannot help...I would be happy to pay Your costs....the alternative is a crash course for the wife!

Kind regards bob

Admin edit[Removed post code and telephone number as now made contact].

Left click the members name on the left of the post and from the drop down menu select private message.

PH

Thanks drstitson

Those who have read this thread previously will appreciate the dodgy situation I found myself in just before Christmas having broken my leg while walking my dogs.Fortunately three passing good Samaritans stayed with me (as I lay in the snow) for the best part of 3 hours awaiting an ambulance which was badly delayed because of diabolical snow conditions.....This certainlyrenewed my faith in human nature!

This has now been reinforced even further by the kindness of fellow forum member drstitson who contacted me and offered to do my OA ,topping up fondant etc as my bees on an away apiary had all but been abandoned. He did all this yesterday, much to my great relief.

Thanks Richard you are a star! Perhaps Cameron was talking about the "BEEK" society and I just misheard the big society message?

Yup, well done. It's great to see beeks helping each other.

Yep Dr is the beesknees

Well done DrS - goodbuddy!

But Goodbobby - if I were you I would remove the post code of your "secure" apiary and your own tel no.

Its cashed now so will still be findable if anyone looks hard but if you get rid of it sharpish it won't be quite as public....

<Edit> Just seen the date posted :-( might be a bit late!
Please people don't post that sort of info to the world - there's some nasty people out there!

Just edited the post Drew..
Admin.

Thanks Mark
I couldn't actually see the hives on Google Maps, but I could make a reasonable guess or at least have a good idea where to look!

Latest posts

Back