thymol syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

how long does it last for?

I still have about 15 litres of thymol syrup in a sealed container and am wondering if it is worth keeping? I made it in September and there is no sign of mould.

... throw it away to be on the safe side?

Cheers
Pete

Going back to the source, Manley's Honey Farming..

"I once hid a 28-lb tin of thin syrup containing thymol in a hedge near some bees, intending to feed it at my next visit: I forgot all about it, and it was only found after eighteen months:it was then perfectly good; there was not the slightest sign of fermentation, and that syrup was fed to the bees then and there."

Pretty clear I think.

PH

I had 5 ltrs left over, I put it in plastic bottles and bunged it in the freezer. It looks like fondant when frozen - let you know next spring whether it lasted/survived the thaw:coolgleamA:

If the thymol separates and forms a slick on the top of the syrup it's also not going to absorb any moisture from the air/surface interface.

sugar is a natural preservative

But only at the right concentrations, which is why honey has to be over 80-82%. Syrup is more like 65%, which is why the thymol is added to stop it going off.

Back