Thymol solution

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to give up honey and all things sugary, as I'm just about to spend £ 11,700 on my teeth.. Im having five implants and the smoking has got to
Daughter recently had that done. Only one tooth but mega expensive. At the first consultation the dentist convinced her to do tooth whitening. At the end, and £2½ K later, he mentioned that the whitening only lasts a few years and she'll have to keep it up or the implant will look super white in comparison to her other teeth. Sounds like a good earner for him.
After finding out at my ninety year old grandfather's deathbed that he had gone through sixty years of his life with no top set of teeth (he did have false ones but he lost them many years ago - mainly due to the fact he never wore them) eating steaks and nuts without a care in the world I have decided that if a tooth goes (lost four thus far and mostly due to the job) I'll just spend the money I saved on a farewell party rather than paying for the dentist's new Merc :D

Last edited:
Yes give up smoking or your implants will fail.
That's what I've been reading 30% less chance and 50% less chance with the bone grafts I need.
I've been smoking for 25 years time to quit, not just for the teeth reasons.

That's what I've been reading 30% less chance and 50% less chance with the bone grafts I need.
I've been smoking for 25 years time to quit, not just for the teeth reasons.
My uncle had full implants and bone grafting back in the eighties for cancer in his jaw.
He'd been a smoker since about age 12 but gave it up just like that. 👍

Are you a pro?
Gave up about 13 or 14 years ago, not sure when I started, ten or eleven? I remember even before that, my grandfather putting his lit woodbine into my toy wooden pipe for me to puff on.

My uncle had full implants and bone grafting back in the eighties for cancer in his jaw.
He'd been a smoker since about age 12 but gave it up just like that. 👍

I've tried so many times to, buts its been the bane of my life really.
I will though as its make or break time.

We
Gave up about 13 or 14 years ago, not sure when I started, ten or eleven? I remember even before that, my grandfather putting his lit woodbine into my toy wooden pipe for me to puff on.
Well if you have any advice it would be most welcome.. My grandad use to smoke a pipe, and I can remember half inching some and smoking it.. You would of thought that would of put me of it was vile stuff.

We

Well if you have any advice it would be most welcome.. My grandad use to smoke a pipe, and I can remember half inching some and smoking it.. You would of thought that would of put me of it was vile stuff.
I gave up twice (the time I went back to smoking after a near two year break I blame on Joining the investigation service, high stress, smoky pubs when ashore, all crewmates smoked etc. etc. but both times I just stopped, no gimics no fancy potions, Both times were evenings, I just finished a tin of tobacco, threw away the remaining papers........and stopped.
You have got to want to do it though, not anyone else.

Last edited:
I gave up twice (the time I went back to smoking after a near two year break I blame on Joining the investigatioin service, high stress, smoky pubs when ashore, all crewmates smoked etc. etc. but both times I just stopped, no gimics no fancy potions, Both times were evenings, I just finished a tin of tobacco, threw away the remaining papers........and stopped.
Spot on.

Both times were evenings, I just finished a tin of tobacco, threw away the remaining papers........and stopped.
Absolutely true. Decision made slightly easier for my uncle as he had his jaw wired together for months with a halo round his head. There was one little gap where he could get a straw through (all meals liquidised).
I suppose he could have got a ciggy in that little gap if he'd really wanted but I think by then he'd just made that decision. My aunt, also a longstanding smoker, gave up at the same time.

I have had black mould in syrup that hasn't had added thymol. The heavy syrup- I use a saturated solution- is not likely to get mould (fruit is preserved by adding lots of sugar = jam). However, the light syrup is at risk (lower sugar jams need to be in the fridge after opening).
If it helps to treat nosema then that is a bonus.
My thymol recipe does not have lecithin so it does not need warming at all. I think my recipe came from C Wynn Jones website.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1051/apido/2009070"Thymol treated syrup appears to be promising in the control of nosema infection."

But of course I use thymol purely to prevent mould ( which it seems to - unthymolated syrup seems to get black bits in it very quickly). After all this is what I pay my BBKA fees for and this is what our president has said: Thymol

I think a lot of advice that comes out of the BBKA should carry a Beekeepers Health Warning .... believe them at your peril ....

Latest posts

Back