Thymol recipe question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I want to make Hivemaker's thymol syrup to guard against nosema this autumn, but I'm unsure about quantities as the recipe seems to be geared towards multiple hives. Is there a much smaller amount that I can make as I only have one hive?

Also, I don't want to use oxalic if I can avoid it (am treating with apiguard atm) so will the thymolated syrup fumes help to keep down the varroa numbers in Sep/Oct time?

One more thing: can this be made indoors or does it give off horrible fumes?

Thanks!

I made this up,

Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add
5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.

In another jar pour in
140 ml of boiling water and add
1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for about ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved.
You can then strain this mixture through a tea strainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.

To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.

It makes about 150 ml, enough for 30 gallons but it does keep forever.
I have some from last year which I will add to my syrup this year.
You could always reduce the quantities proportionately.

HM's recipe doesn't make a huge amount, and its worth having spare around so you don't have to remake it every time.

Yes it does smell, so make it up outside or when the missus is out and then blame the dog.

Yes it does smell, so make it up outside or when the missus is out and then blame the dog.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

Just a thought do you feed the syrup to the poor dog to get it to smell like thymol:)

EricA,

Are all these ingredients available from a pharmacy?

BL

Thymol crystals from F r a g i l e p l a n e t
isopropyl Alcohol from E b a y ..... by far the cheapest I could find
Lecithin grans....Holland and Barrett or Amazon.......but I have masses left, will never use them so if you want me to send you some just pm me

Latest posts

Back