Thymol recipe against Nosema & fermentation of syrup feed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4th year of use here, still looks/smells good after standing the jar in hot water for a few minutes to dissolve solids.

3rd year here but it seems the Thymol has eaten away the seal of the jar lid. very leaky now and as a result a very smelly garage :).

Not that I can see. Been using it for donkeys years.
It works fine.

Aren’t thymol and isopropanol both alcohols? Long time since I did chemistry but both water soluble as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thymol is relatively insoluble in water which is why you dissolve it in water. If it were soluble in water you could dispense with the alcohol

Thymol is relatively insoluble in water which is why you dissolve it in water. If it were soluble in water you could dispense with the alcohol

Ok the phenol group outweighs the alcohol effect of being soluble in water and so the isopropanolol aids the dissolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have, lots of times, and I can cure a heavy infection of Nosema 100% of the time very easily using emulsified thymol mix.

I'm sure you can. But if all you want to do is stop mold /bacteria growing in your syrup there is no need to go down the lecithin emulsifier route.

I'm sure you can. But if all you want to do is stop mold /bacteria growing in your syrup there is no need to go down the lecithin emulsifier route.

Of course not, just the basic Manley mix is fine for that and much weaker than the Nosema mix, which is three times Manley strength.

Of course not, just the basic Manley mix is fine for that and much weaker than the Nosema mix, which is three times Manley strength.

Dead easy...nosema problem .......add lecithin to emulsify and ensure even distribution throughout syrup. If you need to use it to simply prevent mold/bacteria go to recipe minus lecithin.

Dead easy...nosema problem .......add lecithin to emulsify and ensure even distribution throughout syrup. If you need to use it to simply prevent mold/bacteria go to recipe minus lecithin.

...and much weaker will work fine, 5ml or one teaspoon to three gallons.

I have, lots of times, and I can cure a heavy infection of Nosema 100% of the time very easily using emulsified thymol mix.

I can agree with that.
Pulled a couple of slow colonies through this spring. They both have four supers on now.

:confused:
I've made up a jar of the Emulsified Thymol Mix, and as according to the recipe / instructions, when everything was strained into the final jar it was given a good shake, and the Mixture looked a bit like milk. I Left it in the garage and a few hours later when I returned the Mixture had separated, a yellow-ish liquid floating on top (the Lecithin / water I'm guessing) and on the bottom a colourless liquid (the Isopropyl Alcohol / Thymol I'm guessing).

Question: Is this normal. Before I add 1ml to the Syrup do I just give the jar another shake? I thought the addition of the Lecithin would enable the Isopropyl Alcohol / Thymol to mix (emulsify) with the water that the Lecithin was dissolved in. This is the first time I have done this and I had never even heard of Lecithin before this thread.

Oh, for anyone that has not used Thymol before, use gloves... :ack2:

:confused:
I've made up a jar of the Emulsified Thymol Mix, and as according to the recipe / instructions, when everything was strained into the final jar it was given a good shake, and the Mixture looked a bit like milk. I Left it in the garage and a few hours later when I returned the Mixture had separated, a yellow-ish liquid floating on top (the Lecithin / water I'm guessing) and on the bottom a colourless liquid (the Isopropyl Alcohol / Thymol I'm guessing).

Question: Is this normal. Before I add 1ml to the Syrup do I just give the jar another shake? I thought the addition of the Lecithin would enable the Isopropyl Alcohol / Thymol to mix (emulsify) with the water that the Lecithin was dissolved in. This is the first time I have done this and I had never even heard of Lecithin before this thread.

Oh, for anyone that has not used Thymol before, use gloves... :ack2:

Mine did that, it does seem to separate, but i just gave it a shake before adding to the Syrup, it has not separated in the syrup so it seems OK and the greedy little buggers have already done 10ltrs.
I must be odd as i quite like the smell of thymol :)
but i don't know how people eat Lecithin as a dietary additive, cooked some in my porridge as suggested and its not very nice!!

Latest posts

Back