Thymol mix mess up Maths Help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Well my mind was somewhere else when making this up today :(
What i have done is put about 60grms of thymol into 50 ml oil.When what i was ment to of done is 24ml oil and 16 grms of thymol, i was choking when heating this up in the shed lol i can still smell the stuff now horrible :(

I was going to put half does on each of my 4 hives , so cut the oasis in half .

What i have done is poored half just under maybe of the total mix onto the 2 cut outs of oasis as to HM spec size.
Any ideas at a rough guess as to the strenght of these so i can cut it down to size maybe. I don't have time to get anymore ordered as i'm off on holiday early morning, maybe where my mind was when cocking this up :willy_nilly:

Thanks for any help

It took HM a long time to get those ratios right, personally I would chuck the lot away and start again, if you put them in the hive and the mixture is too strong and IF the weather gets warm enough to get the thymol to vaporise there is a possibility the bees may abscond, I certainly would NOT go on holiday leaving hives with an unknown quantity of treatment in, glad your not a doctorLOL

Can you not beg borrow or buy some Apiguard or Apilife Var from a nearby beek? Must be safer than leaving an unknown quantity in your hives.

In total you appear to be 40g of oil short for the required concentration (ratio) and from what you say, you have no thymol crystals to hand, so can't discard and make up more before tomorrow morning.

You appear to have it in the Oasis already - the addition of 40g of oil will correct the concentration problem (8:12 = 2:3) and will bring the total oil/thymol weight to 150g. This equates to 7.5 full doses based on the amount of thymol you have used.

My advice: grind up the Oasis you have, then add the extra 40g of hot oil and mix it well. The resultant pap should be spooned onto kitchen roll and divided into 7.5 (or eight) doses. Try 15 sheets of kitchen roll; two per dose. I would be inclined to fold up the towel into eight pads (7.5) and spoon the pap under a single top flap of each, to keep it together. There are some aspects of making up the pads that you will need to sort out yourself I'm afraid, but make sure that it is divided up equally to ensure that the total dosage is correct.

Now go and stand in the corner for being a bit silly at the outset, but you get an early reprieve for having the sense to seek advice before damaging your bees. I hope my advice is useful and of course it is subject to comment or criticism from others that mean well. All I can say really, is given your situation, this is what I would have done to correct things. The Lord alone knows what the bees will be thinking when they see your tissue.Oasis presents.

If you hurry there should be a supermarket still open (Sunday trading) if you are short of oil or tissue. If all else fails, you might be washing your bottom tonight while the bees get your toilet rolls.

I think that you should be putting the four doses or half doses on the hives tomorrow morning before departing on holiday.

I hope that you have a good holiday and that the bees do OK. :)

Hombre, thanks for taking the time to write that.
How about the half i didn't use could i not just add oil to this?
So far they have had 2 lots of this = 4wks i could chance not giving them the last lot
or would that be a bad idea.Maybe OA them at dec i'm open to ideas or it's back down the shed with that oasis .
:( :( :(

Hombre, thanks for taking the time to write that.
How about the half i didn't use could i not just add oil to this?
So far they have had 2 lots of this = 4wks i could chance not giving them the last lot
or would that be a bad idea.Maybe OA them at dec i'm open to ideas or it's back down the shed with that oasis .
:( :( :(

Why not add correct amount of oil to part you havent yet put on oasis and use that now but, seal up bit youve messed up and do as suggested when you get back for last treatment? May or may not work but should sort out this treatment.

from looking at the maths of this it would seem there is roughly 8 full treatments there
(in the oasis and left in the oil mix)
So my 2 parts of oasis has double the amount in each for what i intended.
Could i therefor give them 1/4 of a oasis but it's a bit of oil short.
How important is the missing oil ?

My assumptions were based on the fact that all the oil/thymol was in Oasis and predicated by the weight of thymol used.

To start adjusting, based on a portion becomes a little more complicated, particularly when the portion of the mixture used and unused (in or not added to Oasis) hasn't been explicitly stated.

My preference is to deal in single dose sizes as far as possible and any further subdivisions are left to individuals.

Your total of oil/thymol as stated was 60g thymol and 50g oil = 150g. What portion of this mixture is still available not in Oasis? If this information had been stated originally - it may have been inferred and I missed it - a slightly different approach may have been worked out concentrating on that volume. The Oasis bound mixture being treated as a separate case or not as the case may be.

Do you have Oasis available or kitchen roll?

The oil is the delivery mechanism. If you eat four tins of beans in a week, how do you feel about having them all stuffed down you at one short sitting? Do it properly but don't tinker, that's inviting errors.

Last edited:
Well my mind was somewhere else when making this up today :(
What i have done is put about 60grms of thymol into 50 ml oil.When what i was ment to of done is 24ml oil and 16 grms of thymol, i was choking when heating this up in the shed lol i can still smell the stuff now horrible :(

I was going to put half does on each of my 4 hives , so cut the oasis in half .

What i have done is poored half just under maybe of the total mix onto the 2 cut outs of oasis as to HM spec size.
Any ideas at a rough guess as to the strenght of these so i can cut it down to size maybe. I don't have time to get anymore ordered as i'm off on holiday early morning, maybe where my mind was when cocking this up :willy_nilly:

Thanks for any help

Hi i did put it in my post maybe it's the way i try to spell things lol
Yes i still have oasis, it's about the only good news i have :(

Simple answer then. with the 75g that you have, you will need only to add 20g of oil to bring that half of the mixture up to spec.

Then use as you would normally. I estimate that you should end up with 95g of mixture. Near as damn it five doses, or ten if you are intent on chopping it in half.

Hope that sorts you out OK.

If you later want to sort the other half that is already in Oasis, you can add 20g of oil to that as previously mentioned.

Have a good holiday and hope you get better weather than here today.

thanks ever so much, florida here we come :party:

Latest posts

Back