Thymol mix- double check me please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Have made up Hivemakers pre-mix. 30g thymol with 5ml alcohol, 1 tsp lecithin in 140ml water, mixed up lovely, looks like milk. I then add 5ml per gallon of syrup.

The reason I want to check is- that means I'm adding about 1gram thymol per gallon of syrup- that sounds practically homeopathic! Particularly compared with 25g in 2 trays of apiguard- I haven't put a figure in the wrong column have I?

PS anyone want to buy 248g of lecithin?:)

Have made up Hivemakers pre-mix. 30g thymol with 5ml alcohol, 1 tsp lecithin in 140ml water, mixed up lovely, looks like milk. I then add 5ml per gallon of syrup.

The reason I want to check is- that means I'm adding about 1gram thymol pe r gallon of syrup- that sounds practically homeopathic! Particularly compared with 25g in 2 trays of apiguard- I haven't put a figure in the wrong column have I?

PS anyone want to buy 248g of lecithin?:)

thats as i have made it up and yes it is 1gram per gallon

for ease of use, i then dilute the 150ml of hivemakers solution further by adding syrup of 450ml ,so 5ml of the new solution then contains 0.25gramsof thymol

i then use 5ml of this new thymol solution to 2pints of 2:1

hope i have that right as the new thymol solution after four days has turned yellow:svengo:

Last edited:
I've used both this year as I had some Apiguard to use up.

I've noticed the hives with a heavy drop all had Apiguard.

I'm treating 6 hives and 3 nucs in total. (nucs had half dose)

I've used both this year as I had some Apiguard to use up.

I've noticed the hives with a heavy drop all had Apiguard.

I'm treating 6 hives and 3 nucs in total. (nucs had half dose)

My understanding is that the Hivemaker thymol mix for feed (sticky ref http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49691&postcount=44 as referred to above, was as a Nosema preventative - and not to be confused with the Hivemaker thymol mix for putting on an oasis or bit of tissue (sticky ref http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1840 as a Apiguard replacement (though I can see how it would be confused :willy_nilly: )

What I want to know is, does Hivemaker have shares in thymol production?

Monsieur Abeille is correct.

There are 2 recipes.

Skyhook, the one you have made is for syrup to help with Nosema.
The Varroa recipe is the second one mentioned above.

Sorry, I'm talking about the varroa treatment recipe.

I'm also using the nosema recipe in my Autumn feed.

But you give the Nosema recipe as wilderness says!! I have noticed a lot of confusion on the forum over the two

M abeille gives the links above

Monsieur Abeille is correct.

There are 2 recipes.

Skyhook, the one you have made is for syrup to help with Nosema.
The Varroa recipe is the second one mentioned above.

Sorry, I probably confused the issue by mentioning Apiguard. :willy_nilly: I've made the mix for nosema- I only mentioned apiguard to relate the 2 amounts of thymol the bees could tolerate.

Sorry, I probably confused the issue by mentioning Apiguard. :willy_nilly: I've made the mix for nosema- I only mentioned apiguard to relate the 2 amounts of thymol the bees could tolerate.

ok, if you made it in the kitchen ,then her in doors will moan about the smell for days if you miss just a crystal of thymol when cleaning up

that same crystal transferred on your had to your mouth, and you will really know that you you have ingested thymol, and if you get one crystal in your eye, you will be down A&E

you are not comparing the same thing

ok, if you made it in the kitchen ,then her in doors will moan about the smell for days if you miss just a crystal of thymol when cleaning up

She did mention it :)

Seriously, thanks for the response guys, very reassuring.

Having thymol in the syrup mix can also aid the control of varroa.......

The very high levels of both carvacrol and thymol in the whole Day 9 larvae would certainly be enough to protect them against Varroa infestation. More recent work in this area has shown that this is true and may explain why bees given certain essential oil treatments protect immature bees from invading Varroa mites.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=230111

Having thymol in the syrup mix can also aid the control of varroa.......

The very high levels of both carvacrol and thymol in the whole Day 9 larvae would certainly be enough to protect them against Varroa infestation. More recent work in this area has shown that this is true and may explain why bees given certain essential oil treatments protect immature bees from invading Varroa mites.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=230111

Interesting! Maybe, if they're on thymolated syrup. we can do away with Oxalic!

Latest posts

Back