Thymol in sugar syrup - quantities

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Some assistance please. How much thymol is required in sugar solution simply to act as a mould retardent during feeding? This isn't something I have done before, hence the question. Making today for feeding tomorrow. Tx, R

Background: Weather in my part of North Yorkshire is poor and humid, ideal for mould growth, I cant visit the hives for a week and want to protect the syrup quality in use. There is some Balsalm but not enough to stave of starvation, a couple of hives are close to critical limits (IMO) hence an emergency feed ahead of autumn stores build up.

30g thymol dissolved in 150 ml of surgical spirit.....add 1 teaspoon to 15 litres of syrup.

I prefer Hivemaker's "Emulsified Thymol Mix" after I found that the thymol/alcohol mix floated on the top of the sugar solution and didn't stay mixed.

I prefer Hivemaker's "Emulsified Thymol Mix" after I found that the thymol/alcohol mix floated on the top of the sugar solution and didn't stay mixed.

Thats a stronger thymol mix used to treat or prevent nosema.....and mess with the varroa mites.