Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Some assistance please. How much thymol is required in sugar solution simply to act as a mould retardent during feeding? This isn't something I have done before, hence the question. Making today for feeding tomorrow. Tx, R

Background: Weather in my part of North Yorkshire is poor and humid, ideal for mould growth, I cant visit the hives for a week and want to protect the syrup quality in use. There is some Balsalm but not enough to stave of starvation, a couple of hives are close to critical limits (IMO) hence an emergency feed ahead of autumn stores build up.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
30g thymol dissolved in 150 ml of surgical spirit.....add 1 teaspoon to 15 litres of syrup.

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I prefer Hivemaker's "Emulsified Thymol Mix" after I found that the thymol/alcohol mix floated on the top of the sugar solution and didn't stay mixed.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I prefer Hivemaker's "Emulsified Thymol Mix" after I found that the thymol/alcohol mix floated on the top of the sugar solution and didn't stay mixed.
Thats a stronger thymol mix used to treat or prevent nosema.....and mess with the varroa mites.