Thymol for nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you will allow me to stir up a (European) hornet's nest:

The BBKA (Thymol ) states categorically:

Thymol is not approved for the treatment of Nosema.
Not only is thymol ineffective against Nosema whether prophylactically or otherwise...

Whereas the evidence demonstrates that thymol is experimentally effective against Nosema: (Effect of thymol and resveratrol administered with candy or syrup on the development of Nosema ceranae and on the longevity of honeybees (Apis mellifera L.) in laboratory conditions | Apidologie ) particulalry in syrup.

As to the recent NBU circular about non-approved medications, then any traces of thymol discovered in honey samples could well have come from approved varroa treatments.

If you will allow me to stir up a (European) hornet's nest:

The BBKA (Thymol ) states categorically:

Thymol is not approved for the treatment of Nosema.
Not only is thymol ineffective against Nosema whether prophylactically or otherwise...

Whereas the evidence demonstrates that thymol is experimentally effective against Nosema: (Effect of thymol and resveratrol administered with candy or syrup on the development of Nosema ceranae and on the longevity of honeybees (Apis mellifera L.) in laboratory conditions | Apidologie ) particulalry in syrup.

As to the recent NBU circular about non-approved medications, then any traces of thymol discovered in honey samples could well have come from approved varroa treatments.
There are lots of studies/trials using thymol, all proved the stuff effective - about sums up how IN effective as an organisation they are really.

Got it
Every 4 days x 3
It can completely turn a colony round.
Hi there, I already lost 2 hives this winter because of Nosema, what ratio do you use the Thymol in syrup. How often and how many time do you treat with that. Thanks

What was the evidence, Tonin?
I lost 2 hives , there is nothing coming in and out when is sunny day and temperature is high, i didnt open completly but just a bit and lots of dead bees around, I think is because of nosema. I need to treat other 3 hives i have left.

I lost 2 hives , there is nothing coming in and out when is sunny day and temperature is high, i didnt open completly but just a bit and lots of dead bees around, I think is because of nosema. I need to treat other 3 hives i have left.
You need to do a proper post mortem.
If you’re unsure post pictures of the frames from one hive
You can’t make a diagnosis of nosema without a microscope
There us no way you can spray the surviving bees at the moment.
What was your varroa protocol last year?

You need to do a proper post mortem.
If you’re unsure post pictures of the frames from one hive
You can’t make a diagnosis of nosema without a microscope
There us no way you can spray the surviving bees at the moment.
What was your varroa protocol last year?
Attached is a picture taken last year, I ben told that is Nosema..

Attachments

• NTWQ4491.JPG
    NTWQ4491.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 20
Excessive poo streaking can be a sign of dysentery, not necessarily Nosema. Nosema can cause dysentery, as can other things.
To diagnose Nosema you need a microscope and some experience of what you are looking at. Nosema is endemic. It is only when the number of spores builds to a higher level that it causes problems. Hence not as easy as just spotting some spores under the scope.

You can also have Nosema with no dysentery present if the bees have Nosema ceranae. This relatively recent "intro to UK" strain is becoming the predominant one in some parts of the UK displacing the Nosema apis strain that most of us are familiar and which was often accompanied by dysentery

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back