Thymol crystals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big ears

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Am I too late to put thymol crystals on top of the frames as a form of mite control?
If I can then would plan to take them off before end of June as I believe you shouldn’t keep them on during the July flow.
BE

I have lime and blackberry all flowering in June and it’s a good proportion of the main flow, it’s very likely to flavour your crop……but as you like the smell😉

Thank you. It’s my first year so don’t know if I will get any honey but would be nice to steal a frame or two. I will draw the board in two days and see the drop and know more then.
I’ve heard Formic acid eats varroa mesh floors so may just hold off until after harvest time if not too many of board.

What makes you think they need treatment for varroa ?

The inspection board is a very poor indicator of the infestation level. Far better to do a sugar roll on a cupful of bees ... see how many mites you find with that method and if it's only a few leave it until Autumn. I'd seriously read up about Oxalic Acid by sublimation if you do need to treat now ... no smell, over and done with in no tiime and very effective. It;s the one time when the inspection board is of use as well ... the forced drop from the treatment will tell you how effective it has been and you can do another two goes at 5 day intervals if there is a big drop.

But start with a sugar roll ....and then decide.

Thank you. It’s my first year so don’t know if I will get any honey but would be nice to steal a frame or two. I will draw the board in two days and see the drop and know more then.
I’ve heard Formic acid eats varroa mesh floors so may just hold off until after harvest time if not too many of board.
What makes you think they need treating?

What makes you think they need treating?
Most people in the club im in are concerned about varroa levels. I suppose it is infective.
I like the sound of the icing sugar challenge.
BE

Most people in the club im in are concerned about varroa levels. I suppose it is infective.
I like the sound of the icing sugar challenge.
BE
Did your bees come from a nuc supplier or an existing hive, have you seen any sign of bees with deformed wings.

Did your bees come from a nuc supplier or an existing hive, have you seen any sign of bees with deformed wings.
Long story but not fully inspected bees yet. There is a virgin I hope is mating this week. Will have a good look next week and just exploring options should I find a problem.

Am I too late to put thymol crystals on top of the frames as a form of mite control?
If I can then would plan to take them off before end of June as I believe you shouldn’t keep them on during the July flow.
BE

I love the smell of Thymol, was it in mothballs years ago, I seem to think of it as a smell from my childhood.

I
BE

I love the smell of Thymol, it reminds me of my childhood, not sure but was it used in mothballs years ago?

I use Thymol made into a solution and a tiny amount put into syrup and put it in all my feed. I think i saw it recommended on here. Anyway here’s a link.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/thymolisedsyrup.html

I love the smell of Thymol, was it in mothballs years ago, I seem to think of it as a smell from my childhood.

I

I love the smell of Thymol, it reminds me of my childhood, not sure but was it used in mothballs years ago?

I use Thymol made into a solution and a tiny amount put into syrup and put it in all my feed. I think i saw it recommended on here. Anyway here’s a link.

That would be Camphor in moth balls.

I

Thanks made some stock solution up so had some crystals left over which is why I asked.
planning to add to my feed. I’m not sure where the smell reminds me if but it was my childhood. Mothballs I think was naphtha.
was it a hospital smell?

Latest posts

Back