Thymol / Bayvarol / etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your MAIN choice for varroa treatment (you can select more than 1 answer)

• Apiguard

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • ApiLife-Var

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Apivar

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Apistan

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Bayvarol

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Drone Brood Removal

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Essential Oils

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Folbex VA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Formic Acid

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Lactic Acid

• Happy Hive Salts (Copper Gluconate)

• Icing Sugar

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Oxalic Acid

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Thymol Crystals

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Somerford

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
National
Just set this Poll up......

Until I joined this forum, I had never heard so much about issues with the medication of hives - reactions to apiguard/home made thymol products, absconding queens, abrubt halting of brood laying, dead bees, etc etc with mixed volumes of varroa drop.

All this has got me thinking . . .

Is Thymol the best option around. Is it worth returning to Apistan / bayvarol for 1 season ? Is there another option ?

Any more ideas on how to treat ?

I guess what I am aiming at is a solution that doesn't affect the bee colony is really what we are searching for.

:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Perhaps you need a bigger choice,like beevital,nassenhieder evaporator,Gabon pa 92,mitaway 2,Kramer plates,ect, perhaps the imformation is better not known.

Last edited:
We could...but then we'd have to kill you.

As Hivemaker says, you could do with a few more selections, Exomite and a couple of other Amitraz (Apivar) based treatments spring to mind

And where's the fgmo fogger... and hiveclean and perizin....

Last edited:
You b*gger Somerford,the hair's went up on the back of my neck with your last comment.

Its nice to see so many using OA treatment in the poll.

Come to think of it we are lucky mr Blair is not running the pole,god knows what results we would of got then.

should have had 'No added treatments used', there are many that dont.

You b*gger Somerford,the hair's went up on the back of my neck with your last comment.

Its nice to see so many using OA treatment in the poll.

Come to think of it we are lucky mr Blair is not running the pole,god knows what results we would of got then.

LOL - I was saying it tounge in cheek....I'd imagine he could say that, but I don't want to be political and I'll balance it by saying Maggie T could have said the same, or Neil Kinnock too.

S

Latest posts

Back