Thymol based treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee Equipment have been selling MAQS very cheaply but say the supplier now refuses to deal with them. See MAQS Statement.
Thornes sell it at £55 for a box of 10.

Do you know if the manufacturers have made any comment about this?

And then there’s Abelo’s Oxalic acid strips.
I’ve seen Thymovar advertised but I’m not really that familiar with it. It looks remarkably similar to Apilife Var
They didn't work does me this year. Keen to know if others have had good results as plenty of room for me to have done something wrong.

They didn't work does me this year. Keen to know if others have had good results as plenty of room for me to have done something wrong.
many bee farmers are now using Thymovar - not heard any issues with it so far

many bee farmers are now using Thymovar - not heard any issues with it so far
It was the oxalic acid strips (as per Randy Oliver) that were disappointing. But obviously a trial of just one person not meaning much and I probably will give them a go again next year - maybe use a few more. Though my more immediate plan is a January sublimation - hope I can nurse them through to then.

The strips I tried were based on cellulose (I think) sponge rather than the classic shop towels. Seems Randy been trying similar this season and will publish his results in the next month or so.
I'm keen to know if others have tried them with more success.

Having just got round to watching the 'varroa eat fatbody' video I think I will. Need to borrow some equipment.

Treated our two National hives with apiguard in late sept. Wasn't really fussy on it as its a long drawn out treatment, any way seemed to work with one of the hives dropping a total of over 1300 which was a bit scary. I was thinking of buying and treating with the oxalic sublimator. Any advice and when to treat?

At the risk of being flamed, I do use MAQS and have a lot of success with it. Occasionally it triggers supersedure, especially if the queen is a couple of years old and presumably producing less pheromone.

I like MAQS for several reasons. Its active ingredient is formic acid which is a natural organic acid and doesn't cause mite resistance. It doesn't build up in the wax. It can be used in summer with sealed brood and supers on as it doesn't taint honey. It's a one-shot treatment with immediately visible results on the varroa tray.

I have learnt it's very important to follow the instructions. Use it only on good sized colonies (at least 5 seams of bees) and make sure there's plenty of room above the brood box for the colony to spread out. No top ventilation, entrance block out, varroa tray in if you have a mesh floor (otherwise the heavy vapour just falls out without doing its work).

Bee Equipment have been selling MAQS very cheaply but say the supplier now refuses to deal with them. See MAQS Statement.
Thornes sell it at £55 for a box of 10.
Hi Chris, do you use one Maq strip per hive or do you use two? To help me understand your point about space, are your colonies on single brood & how many supers do you generally have on, when you're treating to give the space that's needed?
Appreciate you sharing your experience of using it, think of using next year, instead of Apivar.
Elaine

Latest posts

Back