Three drones and counting...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Went to check my hives today. Was going to open up quickly and have a look to see how things are in both hives...but when I got there I found that somebody has been in the barn where I keep some of my kit and stolen my smoker.

In the end, given the lack of a smoker and my cowardly nature, I just did a quick observation outside both hives, and also checked how the fondant was going (put it on three weeks ago to be on the safe side) with a quick peek in the top of both hives. However, what I did see was three drones milling around amongst the other bees bringing in the pollen etc (it was around 12'C, sunny, but windy, and then started to rain).

My question is, is it likely that the the queen (or someone else's for that matter - assuming they can travel far in this weather) has started laying drones...or is it more likely she is now only laying drones? There were plenty of females around, which in honesty, doesn't really help me work out what is going on.

Has anybody else seen drones yet?

For extra info, they have only used up about one fifth of the fondant I put on.

I know there is not much I am going to attempt to do until I have my smoker and / or much better weather...but it is making me wonder what to expect when I go over next weekend

Sally

I'm afraid the only drones I've seen so far have been in drone layers. It's likely you have the same. I would take a closer look, confirm the status, and if so squash the queen and unite.

one a misfire by HM or a workers egg that was not eaten...3 ,well ,i would inspect ASAP and follow Chris B advice in drone layer

any later and the old winter bees will not be worth saving

Yes, I did think it was too early given the awful conditions. Thanks for your comments, I am inclined to agree. No smoker means unlikely to check till next Saturday - there were quite a few bees out, and the hive is a good weight (therefore, quite possible lots of bees in there)...so I am not going in unarmed. I am sorry if this does sound cowardly, but I am when it comes to bees. But at least I can anticipate what to expect and be prepared for it.

Again, much appreciated

Sally

Sad to admit, but because I am of a nervous disposition, before I left I put out a spare hive, with frames etc. just in case. Please don't laught at my clearly naive optimism !!!

I don't think you did anything wrong (even the spare hive, it doesn't eat) probably the wisest thing. Armed with your smoker you can keep the bees down at least.

:icon_204-2:. I've just been sorting some supers out for later on and realised when I first started 3 years ago that I'd built some of them top bee space by mistake. My brood boxes are bottom bee space. Bugger

Yes, I did think it was too early given the awful conditions. Thanks for your comments, I am inclined to agree. No smoker means unlikely to check till next Saturday - there were quite a few bees out, and the hive is a good weight (therefore, quite possible lots of bees in there)...so I am not going in unarmed. I am sorry if this does sound cowardly, but I am when it comes to bees. But at least I can anticipate what to expect and be prepared for it.

Again, much appreciated

Sally

Sad to admit, but because I am of a nervous disposition, before I left I put out a spare hive, with frames etc. just in case. Please don't laught at my clearly naive optimism !!!

Its always a good thing to have a healthy respect for the bees, not cowardly but sensible IMO.

Thanks Swarm - hopefully all will come good. and Ely, you have a patch of drone. next saturday will be my moment of truth, whether i, like you have a patch of drome...or something less good. And Thanks mbc - prefer your rather my take on it.

One of my hives has a small patch of capped drone brood and I saw a drone. At the local association hives, one of the ones I checked also had some drone brood.

checked 3 hives today as 14C here this lunchtime, lots of nicely capped worker brood with small number of capped drone cells here and there. no drones emerged as yet though.

Noisey boy

I saw my first drone enter No 2 hive i heard him before i saw him it's a bit like an ambulance i always hear them
before seeing it LOL :ohthedrama:

Well we checked some of mine today (37 in total). I found 3 drones in 1 healthy colony and a handful of others had patches of sealed drone brood. So drones are starting to appear - there is some hope.

Went to check my hives today. Was going to open up quickly and have a look to see how things are in both hives...but when I got there I found that somebody has been in the barn where I keep some of my kit and stolen my smoker.

In the end, given the lack of a smoker and my cowardly nature, I just did a quick observation outside both hives, and also checked how the fondant was going (put it on three weeks ago to be on the safe side) with a quick peek in the top of both hives. However, what I did see was three drones milling around amongst the other bees bringing in the pollen etc (it was around 12'C, sunny, but windy, and then started to rain).

My question is, is it likely that the the queen (or someone else's for that matter - assuming they can travel far in this weather) has started laying drones...or is it more likely she is now only laying drones? There were plenty of females around, which in honesty, doesn't really help me work out what is going on.

Has anybody else seen drones yet?

For extra info, they have only used up about one fifth of the fondant I put on.

I know there is not much I am going to attempt to do until I have my smoker and / or much better weather...but it is making me wonder what to expect when I go over next weekend

Sally
I haven't done an inspection yet but today was watching them working most vigorously and saw 3 drones coming and going. Mine were quite big and fat. If yours were smaller than you expect then you could have a drone laying queen - she will lay in a worker cell so they don't have room to grow to full size. If you have this only answer this time of year is knock her off and unite with another hive. BUT I would definitely go through them again to check that your capped brood is not full of sticky out drone cells in areas you would expect nice evenly capped worker brood.
Cross fingers They did survive the winter so she must have been laying ok in September

Apart from feeding I have not opened any hives yet but plan to start this weekend.
All hives have been very busy today and I did notice a lot of new bees orienting themselves outside of one of the hives and a few drones on the landing board.
Hurrah!:willy_nilly: looks like Thunderbirds are go........ and about time too!
S

:icon_204-2:. I've just been sorting some supers out for later on and realised when I first started 3 years ago that I'd built some of them top bee space by mistake. My brood boxes are bottom bee space. Bugger

Add a fillet of wood to raise the runner and make sure they are never put directly on the brood box but put on a bottom bee space super...just a bit of proplis ,thats the only effect it will have....twist off if it sticks , you will have less problem than i do with my italian propolising bees

Latest posts

Back