Threads which make no sense because of deletions.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Earlier today I posted the following.;

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in which I saw it written to the effect that "that is not the view of this forum." This forum is not an entity, consequently there can't be an "official" opinion on anything.

I've been asked to clarify where I saw this. I trawled through the recent posts a short time after the event and was unable to find it, so my chances of doing so now, a couple of weeks later, are limited. I suspect that it was deleted although I wouldn't know if this was done as a moderation edit or by the OP.

Recently there seem to be a lot of deletions and matters being dealt with "behind the scenes". I'm fully in favour of anything which helps the smooth running of the forum and antagonistic posts are a big drag on the flow of pleasant conversation. In another forums to which I belong, people are able to muddle along without any moderation that I have seen in over ten years. I consider beekeeping to be a peaceful and calming pastime and I don't know why we appear to have such serious fallouts that moderating appears to be a full-time job.

Personally I would prefer conversations, whatever their tone to be left whole, as there can be very few matters which are so unwholesome or offensive that we need protecting from them. Then it would be possible to see where respondents had lost track of reality rather than having to second guess whether they were simply being "gagged" or really were being misguided or unpleasant. Veering off-topic seems to be a common reason why threads get to insanity level. I am as guilty as anyone of doing this, so perhaps it would help if we all tried to be a little more focused?

Earlier today I posted the following.;

I've been asked to clarify where I saw this. I trawled through the recent posts a short time after the event and was unable to find it, so my chances of doing so now, a couple of weeks later, are limited. I suspect that it was deleted although I wouldn't know if this was done as a moderation edit or by the OP.

You suspect wrong, it's still there
Post #1232 in the 'what's flowering as forage in your area' thread

Probably not a good idea to talk about importing bees from out side the UK
On here its a bit of a no no.

I've a friend in Australia that farms over there, one of my college friends moved there after going out there to shear sheep in the early 2000s.
As far as I'm aware his father in law keeps a few hives.
Maybe one day I'll travel to see him.
Good night :)

as is the next post repudiating the allegation

Really? there's been loads of posts and discussions/advice about requeening with imported stock here lately. This forum is a broad church and although some may air their personal views on imported queens, it certainly isn't the forum ethos.
If you wanted to see heavy handed use of the blue pencil you should have been on here a few years ago - whole posts used to disappear without warning or explanation. You'd log in the following day to be met with a barren wasteland where a discussion used to stand 😁
There's been very little deletion on here of late, and it's usually due to foul language, inflamatory statements, deliberate trolling or even near libelous statements.

Well it's a bit like the Covid regulations. Some people consider the moderation is too light and some too heavy handed. We can't please everybody. I'm simply trying to keep the peace. In my opinion there are no threads whose sense has been lost because of moderation

If you wanted to see heavy handed use of the blue pencil you should have been on here a few years ago - whole posts used to disappear without warning or explanation. You'd log in the following day to be met with a barren wasteland where a discussion used to stand 😁
There's been very little deletion on here of late, and it's usually due to foul language, inflamatory statements, deliberate trolling or even near libelous statements.
Well it's a bit like the Covid regulations. Some people consider the moderation is too light and some too heavy handed. We can't please everybody. I'm simply trying to keep the peace. In my opinion there are no threads whose sense has been lost because of moderation

This is, and has been for most of the time, a very lighly moderated forum .. there was as JBM says, a time when a lot of posts and whole chunks of threads were removed by the moderator at the time - often without justification and unfortunately threads did look disjointed. Since the new mods were appointed (even in the old forum) I've not seen any evidence of unreasonable deletions. Rudeness, bad language, deliberate trolling, libel and other such provocatory posts should be dealt with (and have been as far as I can see and I'm in here most days).

It has a light touch moderation and long may it continue ... and we don't want the thread police stopping those threads that change lanes either ...

?????? Am I being ropped in here?
This is, and has been for most of the time, a very lighly moderated forum .. there was as JBM says, a time when a lot of posts and whole chunks of threads were removed by the moderator at the time - often without justification and unfortunately threads did look disjointed. Since the new mods were appointed (even in the old forum) I've not seen any evidence of unreasonable deletions. Rudeness, bad language, deliberate trolling, libel and other such provocatory posts should be dealt with (and have been as far as I can see and I'm in here most days).

It has a light touch moderation and long may it continue ... and we don't want the thread police stopping those threads that change lanes either ...

I've not got a problem, I have read back through alot of bitxx twangeling in the past.
I wouldn't know what other forums are like as this is the only one I post on and have time for..
My point about importing bee's may have reflected conversions I've read on here in the past and was a genuine honest post.
One man's beef is another man's pudding.

My point about importing bee's may have reflected conversions I've read on here in the past and was a genuine honest post.
It's easy to have got that idea because there have been times when there have been import/black bee/orange bee wars.
I think Emyr's post was just to clear up that posting about importing queens/bees was not discouraged
Anyway, it's Fiat's fault as he started it :)

Anyway, it's Fiat's fault as he started it :)
Don't blame me.... I'm supporting free speech. ;) I'll shut up now. I just want to make it clear that Mark @Curly green finger's post was not the one I was referring to. There does seem to be a big divide between some beekeepers over types of bee, so he was correct. Mark's posts are always interesting and friendly and he shows a level of humility and willingness to hear others that is refreshing on this forum.

Don't blame me.... I'm supporting free speech. ;) I'll shut up now. I just want to make it clear that Mark @Curly green finger's post was not the one I was referring to. There does seem to be a big divide between some beekeepers over types of bee, so he was correct. Mark's posts are always interesting and friendly and he shows a level of humility and willingness to hear others that is refreshing on this forum.
not worthy

I consider beekeeping to be a peaceful and calming pastime

it is on an individual basis, but there are some very entrenched views when beekeepers gather. Far less aggression on here these days. I think most people responsible have been banned or warned off. Wait until you've had a winter season on the Forum. Cabin fever can kick in ;)

I moderate on a different forum and sadly, you will be surprised at supposedly mature intelligent adults, when sat behind their keyboard become something quite else. We have zero and I mean zero tolerance to any nuggetry. The result, we have a forum populated with world leading individuals including Great British team members offering advice and support.

The gold standard on any forum should be, join in and participate as you would if you were two mates having a post work pint in a pub.

Sadly, there are plenty who struggle to meet this level and so your version of free speech doesn't exist as moderators are required to keep these idiots in check or encourage them to move on.

Well done our mods you're doing a great job. Thanks :)

It's a lot better than It used to be.
Everyone has an opinion, everyone does things slightly differently.
Some people are quick to anger others aren't.
Being able to read is a bonus. Having thick skin is a necessity.

I moderate on a different forum and sadly, you will be surprised at supposedly mature intelligent adults, when sat behind their keyboard become something quite else. We have zero and I mean zero tolerance to any nuggetry. The result, we have a forum populated with world leading individuals including Great British team members offering advice and support.

The gold standard on any forum should be, join in and participate as you would if you were two mates having a post work pint in a pub.

Sadly, there are plenty who struggle to meet this level and so your version of free speech doesn't exist as moderators are required to keep these idiots in check or encourage them to move on.
Well done our mods you're doing a great job. Thanks :)

Amnesty International
“You might not expect us to say this, but in certain circumstances free speech and freedom of expression can be restricted.”

and

“Free speech is one of our most important rights and one of the most misunderstood.

Use your freedom of speech to speak out for those that are denied theirs. But use it responsibly: it is a powerful thing.”

and

“People imposing the restrictions (whether they are governments, employers or anyone else) must be able to demonstrate the need for them, and they must be proportionate.”

I consider beekeeping to be a peaceful and calming pastime

it is on an individual basis, but there are some very entrenched views when beekeepers gather. Far less aggression on here these days. I think most people responsible have been banned or warned off. Wait until you've had a winter season on the Forum. Cabin fever can kick in ;)
Its brewing already, I can only recommend talking to alexa about it she is an ace person.
She even plays games, answers all your questions with... I don't know that one.

I can only recommend talking to alexa about it she is an ace person.
She even plays games, answers all your questions with... I don't know that one.
Ask her to translate "Boris, Hundred" into Welsh :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back