Thoughts on fondant for winter feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzamazda

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just as the title suggests, what are opinions on this? I have managed to find Apifonda at around £1.20 for a KG, I am feeding around 80 hives 50 miles away which is seriously labour intensive. I have recently read some bee farmers regularly feed bees this way for winter. These arent colonies I plan to bring to the UK.

Just use standard bakers fondant ... no need for the fancy stuff. In the UK 12.5kg blocks are about a tenner this year. Works really well. Slice the block down the middle with a breadknife or spade and open it like a book over the top of the frames.

Fit and forget!.

As above.

No down side noticed yet but if in doubt contact ITLD as he uses it extensively I believe.

PH

Thanks for the replies. I should have said I cant buy any cheap fondant here, cheapest I've found is €10.50 for 2.5kg.

I should have said I cant buy any cheap fondant here, cheapest I've found is €10.50 for 2.5kg.

Buy it here then, each time you bring over a van full of beehives go back with a van load of cheap fondant.

We use baker's fondant which we buy from Baco and it works out at just under £8 for a 12.5kg block. We find it much easier to use than mixing up, and transporting gallons of sugar syrup to our apiary site. However, it we ever mention to any other beekeepers in our association that we feed in this way, they tend to raise their hands in horror and say you should only use fondant for an emergency feed at the end of the winter. It works for us and the bees seem to thrive on it so it is well worth giving it a go as long as you can get some at a reasonable price.

it we ever mention to any other beekeepers in our association that we feed in this way, they tend to raise their hands in horror and say you should only use fondant for an emergency feed at the end of the winter.

a lot around here depend on fondant for winter feeding.
Bees will take it down and store it exactly the same as syrup. seen it myself once on a colony I had where, for on reason or another it was too late to give them syrup. They survived the winter, went off with a bang in spring and was one of my most productive/prolific colonies. I have quite a few of her daughters and granddaughters now.

We use baker's fondant which we buy from Baco and it works out at just under £8 for a 12.5kg block. We find it much easier to use than mixing up, and transporting gallons of sugar syrup to our apiary site. However, it we ever mention to any other beekeepers in our association that we feed in this way, they tend to raise their hands in horror and say you should only use fondant for an emergency feed at the end of the winter. It works for us and the bees seem to thrive on it so it is well worth giving it a go as long as you can get some at a reasonable price.

If it works for you, then do it, I've seen lots using it, more so mini mating nucs. easy to apply and you dont have to pour it in to feeders. Tear of a lump and drop it in!!
Some of the ideas people high up in the " echelons of the beekeeping fraternity" have, make me laugh!!:)

Maza, there are 16 litre poly feeding boxes. Why don't you use them?

The bees here dont have a winter as such, they fly nearly everyday and always have something to eat, ivy just coming in, heather is until december/january after that its eucalyptus so they dont need much and they have access to water so really thinking fondant as I'll be leaving them and only having a look in once a month until March.

a lot around here depend on fondant for winter feeding.
Bees will take it down and store it exactly the same as syrup. seen it myself once on a colony I had where, for on reason or another it was too late to give them syrup. They survived the winter, went off with a bang in spring and was one of my most productive/prolific colonies. I have quite a few of her daughters and granddaughters now.

Thats very good to know!

Probably the same beeks who advocate only inverted syrup and if you must use sugar, to only use cane! Lot of nonsense spouted and seems more abundant in SW for some reason
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably the same beeks who advocate only inverted syrup and if you must use sugar, to only use cane! Lot of nonsense spouted and seems more abundant in SW for some reason

Not just in the south west, but I suppose if a group has spent a lot of money buying syrup they want to sell it on to recoup the costs.

Latest posts

Back