Thought they where dead!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a quick look at my hives yesterday. On removal of the roof and then my carpet insulation, i could clearly see the bees (i have my feed holes at 90 to the frames).

On most of the hives bees where moving around or slight fanning of wings, but one hive (from the small feed hole view) there appeared to be no movement, just bees with the heads down into the cells.

On a gentle "poke" with my figure, they sprung to life.

Did you lift (heft) the hive where they had their heads stuck in the cells?? I wonder if they might be short of stores???

there appeared to be no movement, just bees with the heads down into the cells.

You have 10 hives. How many years experince you have?

Those deadouts may happen if another hive robs one's stores.

In my country continuos brood rearing finishes the hive before Christmas.

Did you lift (heft) the hive where they had their heads stuck in the cells?? I wonder if they might be short of stores???

Yes I did heft the hives, very heavy.

I think my point is of the view small view yhou have of the hive through the feeding port, it is hard to judge hive.

Next time crown board is fully off will be for QA trickle, will re evaluate then

I don't lift the roof during the Winter except to use oxalic on a 'warm' day.
My check to see if there are still bees alive is to stick my ear next to the entrance and tap the side of the hive sharply once. If there is a buzz which quickly dies away then I think they are OK. And of course heft for stores.

Peter

Latest posts

Back