Thornes VAT still at 17.5% ?!?!?!?!?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I was just looking to order the following when I thought I would check the VAT they are adding (becuase it is a lot!) when I noticed they are still (on the web site) charging VAT at 17.5%

inter Sale 50 x D.N.4 Frames, Sale ?26.09 ?52.18
50 Sheets Wired BSD. Special offer ?5.01 ?50.10
Sub Total: ?102.28
VAT (applicable for UK and EU countries only): ?17.94
Total Shipping Weight: 24.4 KGs Cost

If you work out 15% of the ?102.28 for my order it should be ?15.34 not the ?17.94 it is sugesting (even though I work it to be on 17.5% ?17.90)

Maybe when you get to the final ordering stage it updates it all but, just need to clarify??

Jim

Maybe you should give Gill a ring. ( She seems to sort out the on-line orders at the Wragsby Depot) She is very helpful. I rang her today because I had put in one order over ?100 which qualified for free P&P, then decided I wanted more stuff. Rang her and she linked the 2 orders together so no P+P on second order either.

i think it is unlawful to overcharge on VAT???

I am sure it is a simple mistake and they will correct, but I just hope others dont miss out.

Jim

I maybe wrong but I believe the reduction in V.A.T. isn't automatically passed on and requires the good will of the trader ??.
John

They have managed to get the VAT correct on the email flyer they sent out for the sale, so they are passing on the VAT reduction. Looks like they have not updated the site.

Like I said I have not yet placed my order, so maybe on the final stage the VAT is reduced?

Jim

Update

I have just checked their site again and they have adjusted it slightly. Frames now = 15% but foundation is still high on VAT

roduct Name Minimum Unit Price Qty Item Total
50 Sheets Wired BSD. Special offer ?5.01 ?50.10
Winter Sale 50 x D.N.4 Frames, Sale ?26.09 ?52.18
Sub Total: ?102.28
VAT (applicable for UK and EU countries only): ?16.62
Total Shipping Weight: 24.4 KGs Cost

So averages out out about 16.5% VAT

I recived an email back from thornes today, saying they have spoted the problem, and all VAT will be charged at 15%

Jim

I maybe wrong but I believe the reduction in V.A.T. isn't automatically passed on and requires the good will of the trader ??.
John

John,

You are definitely wrong. VAT can only be charged at the rates currently in force. The only way they could get around not passing on any decrease is if they increased their prices and then added the 15% such that the price would be the same.

Latest posts

Back