Thornes Stockbridge Sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I went to the Thornes Stockbridge Sale yesterday, just needed some supers so from past experience, knew that at the end of the sales, there were plenty left over.

So when the sale started, no rush, just wandered over to the pallets, sorted the ones I wanted, paid and then back to the car. Back to the sale, bought more bits, and then repeated this a further three times. Cup of tea and slice of cake during the rain-shower, all in all a nice and leisurely day.

Thornes had bought down a lot more stock that previous years and when I left a about mid day, there was most things still available, even though I saw a pallet of brood boxes purchased by one individual, there was more than enough to go around.

There was the odd A***hole that had no patience for anyone else and jumped the queue for picking up their bits by car. Apart from that, a very relaxed day out.

Hats off to Thornes for working out the volumes that people needed :cheers2:

Last edited:
Only downside for me was the total cost.

Thornes bits: Bargain !!

Cost of sitting in the car in a queue waiting to collect 3 packs of frames while my daughter waited for me at the entrance for 20 minutes in the worst rain I have seen in a while:priceless !!

I am going to be paying her back for a while yet,I tried to bribe her not to tell mum she looked liked a drowned rat,she said she was prepered to maybe negotiate a deal.

If she starts sneezing today I am a dead man !!

Thornes got it right though,plenty left and no trollies allowed around pallets.

Well done Thornes !!

Whilst the rain was on, drank tea in dry.

My first purchase was a hive strap, then strapped the supers together. I had all the time in the world yesterday, and deliberately did multiple trips back to the car, just made sure I only purchased what I could carry each time. I even had time to call a colleague to see if he wanted any bits and get them for him.

I have to monitor my blood pressure three times a day at the moment, so after the drive and the sale, my blood pressure was down almost 10%. :party:

blood pressure was down almost 10%.

That depends on whether that is a good or a bad thing!

If my lady's blood pressure were to fall much more than that she would likely fall over!

Glad you got all you needed. Sounds like a pleasant change from the only one I attended at Wragby (said then, I would never go again!).

Does this mean further expansion in colonies? You may soon be a bee farmer!

I may expand if Rooftops' new poly National is the success, which I am fully expecting it to be, so we may have a competition here, to get 'bee farmer' status (40 colonies - or is that (honey) productive colonies?).

Regards, RAB

Aaaargh- I missed it! been one of those weeks. B****r!:banghead:

Sorry to hear you missed it Skyhook.
I did put it on the calender so it showed up on the day.

blood pressure was down almost 10%.

That depends on whether that is a good or a bad thing!

If my lady's blood pressure were to fall much more than that she would likely fall over!

Down is good for me.

Glad you got all you needed. Sounds like a pleasant change from the only one I attended at Wragby (said then, I would never go again!).

Yes, very pleasant

Does this mean further expansion in colonies? You may soon be a bee farmer!

Nope, only planned for four colonies by this time, now I need the supers in preparation for next year. If all survive winter (2 are suspect), then I will reduce to my target number which is 8 (If I publish that on this forum, I may convince myself).

I may expand if Rooftops' new poly National is the success, which I am fully expecting it to be, so we may have a competition here, to get 'bee farmer' status (40 colonies - or is that (honey) productive colonies?).

MBS have just increased their prices :mad:

Regards, RAB

Rick

I know. I thought things must be adjusted sooner or later; that's why I got another couple of nucs now, rather than next season. OK, it will also give me time to machine out some more ends to convert to 14 x 12, so more than a simple decision.

Things are rarely that simple at first glance.

Regards, RAB

I was all set to go but being not the most sociable of people and the way it was dealt with last year, (got next to nothing I wanted) decided to give it a miss, sounds like I missed out, Oh well can order online in November.
kev

I was all set to go but being not the most sociable of people and the way it was dealt with last year, (got next to nothing I wanted) decided to give it a miss, sounds like I missed out, Oh well can order online in November.
kev

Is this a recent thing?

You and Tony put on a great afternoon for our association visit in 2009. :cheers2:

I spend a lot of time on my own with the bees and they are not easy to have a conversation with LOL. I don't look upon myself as sociable but if you enjoyed yourself then thats o/k

Did anyone notice if the Thornes sale had any bits for Langstroth hives?

Thanks for that.Did I see somewhere that their will be a online auction?

Its not an auction just an end of season sale

Latest posts

Back