Thornes sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Can anyone tell me if there is normally any difference between the stock that Thornes offer at their outlet sales, and what would be expected to be available on the online sale?

Just wondering whether to join the scrum at Rand next week

Last year they sent me emails of what was available at their outlets before the sales.

All that and a bit more was availlable at the online sale - I bought £200 worth. The seconds were all of acceptable quality ( I chucked one top bar out of 50)

about £380's worth for me last year... I was quite happy with their Seconds

... they were better than the last set of 'firsts' I got from maisemore last :mad:

I have not recieved a price list yet either

Association bought £4500 worth in last years on line sale and no complaints.

Craig, did you resolve what it was that delayed delivery of your order last year?

I had a Thorne's order that didn't arrive in good time and on enquiring I found that they were waiting on 14x12 frames, with a lead time of about two weeks, but seconds were available. I snapped up the seconds and had they been available in the catalogue I would have opted for them first.

It seems that they need to manage these things better. Given a multi hundred pound order, then splitting the delivery shouldn't be such a great problem. I'ts more a case of timely communication.

I'm sure that you would have been happier if you had been told what was holding things up and given a few options.

So what did you learn and what would you do differently to have a better experience with your association this year?

i bought ten supers and sorted out and grade the side and top bars for knots, and use all the bad ones in one super

so got 8 good one, one that warped very slightly but usable and a banana basket

I think they had a bigger demand than they expected last year. The sale starts earlier this year, so hopefully they dont have same problem this year. We are not going to stock hives this year as it is too much work for the chap who runs the association shop from his garage. Everyone was happy with the stuff from thornes though

Back