Thornes sale prices here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Ok here are the prices for this years thornes winter sale:cheers2:

Frames - in 50's - second quality which means a few small knots, maybe a bit of discolouration or small spilt but perfectly serviceable.
DN1 or SN1 25.00
DN4 or SN4 30.50
DN5 or SN5 35.00
BS. Manley 35.00
14" x 12" 40.00
16" x 10" 35.00
Langstroth Manley 35.00
Dadant Shallow 35.00
Cedar Hive Parts in the flat - in utility grade cedar which also means a few small live knots, maybe a bit of discolouration or small split but perfectly serviceable.
National Open Mesh Floor 13.50
National Roof 19.00
National Brood Body 18.50 each 10 for 172.00
National Super 13.50 each 10 for 125.00
National Crownboard with two escapes 8.00
National 14" x 12" Brood Body 28.00
We also have
Langstroth, Dadant or WBC Plastic Excluder 2.50
Open Mesh Helmet 7.00
2 Frame Plastic Extractor 100.00
100 Narrow Plastic Ends 3.00
Beekeepers perch 1.00
Hive Tool 6.00
Galvanised Mesh, 12" square 50p
Mixed Coloured Candle Sheets, pack 10, mainly dark colours with some missing corners, small splits 3.50
Frame Cleaner 2.00
20 Plastic Porter Bee Escapes 10.00
Corner Support, pack 4 50p
Bee Brush 2.50
Frame Nail Hammer 1.75
500g 3/4" Frame Nails 3.00
Stainless Steel Valve 20.00
Uncapping Fork 2.50
And Wired Beeswax Foundation (usual quality) at discounted prices.

Orders over £100.00 are carriage paid within the UK

I had this email this afternoon as well.

anyone want to go part shares on 50 14X12 frames, I only need 2 brood boxes worth plus a couple of spares

Not got mine yet - must be on the wrong ISP or something?

Taff,

I'll take the ones you don't need as long as you deliver them here! Tuck them away ready for shook swarm change-over. Assume a couple might be unserviceable, so you will need 30 anyway.

In the past, some hive parts have had dead knots too, so maybe these are higher quality than previous?

They might be making 'seconds' unless they have an auto removal of items from the sale, when sold out, or perhaps someone will be monitoring the progress up to the new year restart (they are not back at work until 4th Jan). Some items often sell out well before the end of the sale period.

They also normally had complete hives on offer, so that appears to have changed - perhaps too many options these days.

Regards, RAB

Still waiting
confused-smiley-013.gif

Hawklord,

Plenty of Q/Es. Just not your size,or not in the sale!! Just following Murphy's Law for you.

Makes one think they have carefull ysorted out ahead, ready for a 'new' market rush in the spring. That's marketing.

Regards, RAB

They might be making 'seconds'

I suspect so

Hawklord,

Plenty of Q/Es. Just not your size,or not in the sale!! Just following Murphy's Law for you.

Makes one think they have carefull ysorted out ahead, ready for a 'new' market rush in the spring.

A bit like the Next sale (ask a Woman) they actualy buy in sale items just for a sale. And as for the mens sale items...all they ever have is bermuda shirts!

That's marketing.

Bit like Omlet!

All the above plus VAT presumably at 15% before 1/1 and 17.5% after.
I went up to Wynne Jones at Ruthin yesterday and made my purchases. He received his " seconds " order from Thornes on Tuesday.

Peter

All the above plus VAT presumably at 15% before 1/1 and 17.5% after.
I went up to Wynne Jones at Ruthin yesterday and made my purchases. He received his " seconds " order from Thornes on Tuesday.

Peter

I also ordered my seconds from Wynne Jones on tuesday arrived yesterday (wednesday), quality of the frames looks ok but a second's 14x12 brood box looks as though it got stuck in the planer and so is a differant thickness, his prices are also a pound or two dearer than the thornes sales list.

is this online only, or for the shop counter also?

is this online only, or for the shop counter also?

Thornes said:
Dear Beekeeper

Our Winter Sale will start on Tuesday 29th December at 9.00am online only when full details will be on our website www.thorne.co.uk

Usually, we don't start until early January but, this year, we are giving you the opportunity to "beat" the VAT rise on January 1st. On the last three days of 2009, we will have just a few staff here at Wragby to process internet orders including taking the payment for sale items. As we will be officially closed, we won't be answering the telephone although we will try to respond to e-mails. The shop will also be closed until Wednesday 6th January. We will start to despatch orders from 6th January.

Not got mine yet - must be on the wrong ISP or something?

Taff,

I'll take the ones you don't need as long as you deliver them here! Tuck them away ready for shook swarm change-over. Assume a couple might be unserviceable, so you will need 30 anyway.

Regards, RAB

as usual, you are right, keeping spares isn't something I'd really considered, maybe I should

Hawklord,

Makes one think they have carefull ysorted out ahead, ready for a 'new' market rush in the spring. That's marketing.

Regards, RAB

That's my fault for using an obsolete hive, unless of course it's my paranoid conspiracy theory.

Merry Xmas RAB.

"his prices are also a pound or two dearer than the thornes sales list"

When you take account of the VAT element think you'll find WJ's prices are almost identical to the Thornes sales prices and in some cases even less.

I work on Nationals and the BB's and frames I bought are all excellent, minor knots only.

Peter

Now I am befuddled.

All of Thorne prices quoted are normally ex. VAT on the on-line ordering. The order form will likely be the normal one(?) which will calculate shipping and VAT?

So, are these prices quoted on the e-mail from Gill ex. VAT or incl. VAT?

I note the following in the e-mail:Now to the prices! (but remember that these will increase from 1st January 2010)

So they certainly should be incl VAT. Can anyone remember the format last year or must I try to hunt down a receipt or order?

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Now I am befuddled.

All of Thorne prices quoted are normally ex. VAT on the on-line ordering. The order form will likely be the normal one(?) which will calculate shipping and VAT?

So, are these prices quoted on the e-mail from Gill ex. VAT or incl. VAT?

I note the following in the e-mail:Now to the prices! (but remember that these will increase from 1st January 2010)

So they certainly should be incl VAT. Can anyone remember the format last year or must I try to hunt down a receipt or order?

Regards, RAB

bobandbec:
Reads to me that the thornes prices listed include the vat at 15% same as wynne jones.

thornes price w.jones
DN1 or SN1 25.00 29.00

DN4 or SN4 30.50 35.00

DN5 or SN5 35.00 40.50

BS. Manley 35.00 40.50

14" x 12" 40.00 46.30

16" x 10" 35.00 40.50

National's
Roof 19.00 22.00

Brood Body 18.50 20.00

Super 13.50 14.50

14x12 Brood Body 28.00 32.50

Wynne jones price list below.

Last edited:
I was in Thornes Stockbridge last week and noticed many shelf prices had the VAT included,I had to keep asking if each item I purchased had the vat added already or if prices were different from online prices now.

All very confusing as I am used to having to add the vat in my head when buying in the shop..

Latest posts

Back