Thornes poly nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Last season I picked up a couple of the Thornes £35 poly Nucs. I had a couple of decent queens in late made Nucs and wanted them in poly. Given all my BS nucs are in use I brought them. The bee space down the sides is about twice the size it should be resulting in frames well attached to side walls and lots of rolled bees. I’ll be sticking to BS Nucs in future.

Attachments

• 94284F6E-3D86-4250-86DD-4CAD883BFB8D.jpeg
    94284F6E-3D86-4250-86DD-4CAD883BFB8D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Last season I picked up a couple of the Thornes £35 poly Nucs. I had a couple of decent queens in late made Nucs and wanted them in poly. Given all my BS nucs are in use I brought them. The bee space down the sides is about twice the size it should be resulting in frames well attached to side walls and lots of rolled bees. I’ll be sticking to BS Nucs in future.
Yeah, I've glued a piece of 5mm correx each end to give the correct bee space in mine, thankfully I only bought two as a trial.

Lol same as you, another thing I found as soon as you start banging them around there a pain with all the entrance bits and filler panels. I’ll be sticking with the BS boxes.

Interesting.

Similarly, the new Abelo nucs need a follower board without a doubt. That can be viewed as a positive if you find a follower board useful when inspecting of course. But it adds to the cost significantly.

Similarly, the new Abelo nucs need a follower board
So do the Park and the BS, or the extra end space must be accepted.

I assume that the designers thought it would give wriggle room, but in practice it's a nuisance: the end frames are built fatter on the outsides and that's awkward when upgrading into an eleven box.

The joy of the Abelo brood box is that needs no dummy board and takes eleven with a little wriggle room, but not enough to fatten the outsides of the end combs.

Latest posts

Back