Thornes & Paynes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hiya

I am hopefully starting in the new year as a new bee-keeper.

Have joined local association and ready for their course.

I went to the Thornes sale Saturday at Windsor. After a 2.5hr drive arriving at 12 noon everything had gone - I was also informed that the beginner kits would have been the same price as online (no point me going then!).

I have also seen Paynes website and products. They seem very good and some good deals.

I will be after 2 hives plus complete kit - which I only want to buy once. So all Ceder etc.

Can I ask if anyone can recommend a supplier or comment on Paynes?

Cheers

Nick

Send Hivemaker a PM,he is a member on the forum.
He sells the best Cedar hives you can get.

He cuts the tree's and machines the hives himself in the uk.

Hi Nick,
Welcome to the forum. "Hivemaker" on this forum comes well recommended for cedar hives. Have not dealt with Paynes so cannot comment.
Good luck :cheers2: Mike

LOL 3 replies in 2 minutes - has to be a record.:)

Nick W, welcome, whereabouts in the uk are you ?

Hiya

I am hopefully starting in the new year as a new bee-keeper.

Have joined local association and ready for their course.

I went to the Thornes sale Saturday at Windsor. After a 2.5hr drive arriving at 12 noon everything had gone - I was also informed that the beginner kits would have been the same price as online (no point me going then!).

I have also seen Paynes website and products. They seem very good and some good deals.

I will be after 2 hives plus complete kit - which I only want to buy once. So all Ceder etc.

Cheers

Nick

I also hope to start in the new year, and have today posted my order off to the forums very own 'Hivemaker'
Best quality hives i have seen so far! :)

Hello

I am in Kidderminster, Worcs. But I did drive down to Windsor for the Thornes sale. Got there 12pm. Waste of time for me but went to Heathrow and watched planes land for a while :)

NIck

Ok, I don't know any local hive makers in Kidderminster, but others might.

Sounds like Hivemaker is a good source for you. :)

Hello

I am in Kidderminster, Worcs. But I did drive down to Windsor for the Thornes sale. Got there 12pm. Waste of time for me but went to Heathrow and watched planes land for a while :)

NIck

Virtually everything was gone by 10:03 - it really is a sight to behold. Still I got the frames I wanted - and I was there at 9:45 but then it's only 5 miles down the road for me.

Don't despair Nick. Thornes also do a January sale where the prices are only slightly higher than their open days. The January sale is mail order and can be done online.

You might also like to try Dave Cottrill near Warwick. Good value cedar equipment. I have his card somewhere if you're interested.

We have our joint honey show with Kidderminster beekeepers this saturday 19th september. Come along and say hello.

All the best
Chris

You might also like to try Dave Cottrill near Warwick.

We have our joint honey show with Kidderminster beekeepers this saturday 19th september. Come along and say hello.

All the best
Chris

I'll second that about D.C. good vfm.

Where is your show Chris ? I'd like a look-see ....

JC.

Yes I was going to do that - thanks very much. I also went to the Bee Keeping open day Kidderminster branch had - which was very good.

Ironically I dont like honey - apart from Crunchie bars!

Quick question about honey - do you HAVE to harvest it, or can you just have a couple of supers on top of brood chambers and leave the hive to it? Without harvesting?

Cheers

Nick

Don't want to step on peoples toes but I have started to produce solid cedar national hives and other items in the pipeline a 2nd batch of hives will be started next week they can be seen on yes good old Ebay look up tombick NEW NATIONAL BEE HIVE BEEKEEPING and NEW NATIONAL HIVE STAND BEEKEEPING/BEEHIVE

I'm interested in hives too.
Where are you Tom Bick?
And where is Hivemaker located?

I prefer to buy local but if you don't say where you are then no one knows.

Hiya

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, I can recommend PaynesSouthdown Bee Farms I used them only the other day. Very fast and very efficient service. Most impressed to receive my parcel on Saturday, when I only ordered the day before.

Would that be in his capacity as inspector, Hombre ??

Sorry JC, but I couldn't possibly comment.
Like your namesake, I half expected sandals. :)

Latest posts

Back