Thornes Open Day Sale 2020 - Online

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
We have made the decision to cancel all our branch sale days this year.
Instead we will be holding an online sale starting Monday 31st August until Monday 14th September

Second quality frame prices will be greatly reduced.

SN1/DN1 - £20 per 50
SN4/DN4 - £24 per 50
14"x12" - £30 per 50

We will have second quality hive parts and other key equipment in the sale. Orders over £100 will be carriage paid within the UK and you can also collect from a branch (with prior arrangement)

I like that these sales are moving online, lets us in the farther flung parts of the UK avail.

*Full price list:
https://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data...qRkMHEpfkc26sLFImxMpzZ-p6aXplOtdYTbYr8r038B2s

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more - makes things much more interesting.
That's one way of looking at it. Covid is largely driving this, but, as it forces business to rethink models, it would not surprise me if this were the beginning of the end of e.g. sale days at Rand as we knew them.

No more human experience (waiting with the throngs for the cordon to be lifted, no more spontaneous banter with other beekeepers, no more demos...). You might not think it will come to that (and maybe Thornes don't either - until they see the numbers). In general terms, I fear we lose something vital with the relentless drive to online.

Also, there's a big emotional difference between what feels like a cheeky bargain at a factory shop, and an 'online deal.'

That's not to say I won't be partaking, of course!!

Interesting times for us all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That's one way of looking at it. Covid is largely driving this, but, as it forces business to rethink models, it would not surprise me if this were the beginning of the end of e.g. sale days at Rand as we knew them.

No more human experience (waiting with the throngs for the cordon to be lifted, no more spontaneous banter with other beekeepers, no more demos...). You might not think it will come to that (and maybe Thornes don't either - until they see the numbers). In general terms, I fear we lose something vital with the relentless drive to online.

Also, there's a big emotional difference between what feels like a cheeky bargain at a factory shop, and an 'online deal.'

Fully agree - will very much miss the annual visit to Thornes in October. Let’s hope some normality will be restored in time for TradeX 2021

Online is by far better for us, just too busy for open days.
I would imagine the amount of product sold would by a long way outstrip factory open days.

Few more prices from the newsletter.

• 50 DN1/SN1 - £20
  • 50 DN4/SN4/OSB - £24
  • 50 14”x12”/DN5/SN5 - £30
  • 50 Langstroth/Commercial (all sizes) - £30
  • National Super - £13
  • National Brood Body - £16
  • National 4” Roof - £18
  • National Open Mesh Floor with Entrance Block - £14
  • Langstroth Brood Body - £18
  • Langstroth Super - £14

I think eventually the Tradex will continue, as will the conventions, and to be honest, there's never been a Spring convention lineup where I feel the need to attend back to back lectures, or any sometimes (the Ulster convention is totally a different matter) so plenty of time to just sit and chat with old (and new) friends

I think you are right. I don't like online shopping at all. However for those of us living in more remote places taking those sales online has given us opportunities. the larger conventions/tradex and so on are worth travelling for usually but a (and I kid you not) 8 hour plus time in shop round trip to Thornes probably isn't - but i'm not going to move house because of it 🏚

I think you are right. I don't like online shopping at all. However for those of us living in more remote places taking those sales online has given us opportunities. the larger conventions/tradex and so on are worth travelling for usually but a (and I kid you not) 8 hour plus time in shop round trip to Thornes probably isn't - but i'm not going to move house because of it 🏚
How different we all are. I have really enjoyed my priority supermarket slots and would be happy to never see the inside of any shop again. As for kit, I’d ask you lot for a recommendation 😃

How different we all are. I have really enjoyed my priority supermarket slots and would be happy to never see the inside of any shop again. As for kit, I’d ask you lot for a recommendation 😃
Same here, been really good avoiding all the major supermarkets, just the occasional trip every few weeks, used the local shop a bit more than usual and realised that what we saved on some items on a trip to tesco was offset by the time and fuel needed for the seven mile round journey and although the only bakery open 'locally' is now an eleven mile round trip it is but a 3/4 mile detour when I go checking the Garn Cottage bees.

I get all my stuff at their winter sales it's only way to keep costs sensible last spring I started making my own supers as a last resort.

Been on supermarket deliveries pre covid but only for cans cereals etc covid has buggered the supermarket job there's rarely any special prices don't get the old 18 off 60 etc and that's if you can find a slot luckily they have 3x as many vans now and the slots returning to normal

I was looking for this thread but couldn't find it,
because in "Subject" its misteake 😊
please new moderator to correct that.
Now its "Thrones Open Day Sale 2020 - Online"
need to be

I was looking for this thread but couldn't find it,
because in "Subject" its misteake 😊
please new moderator to correct that.
Now its "Thrones Open Day Sale 2020 - Online"
need to be
It’s a hangover from the early days of the forum. Every time you put the real name of a commercial company in a post it improves its google presence. Some folk had a hang up about it. It’s a strange habit that persists in some of the original members. The forum also removed links to BBKA and to other web sites.

It’s a hangover from the early days of the forum. Every time you put the real name of a commercial company in a post it improves its google presence. Some folk had a hang up about it. It’s a strange habit that persists in some of the original members. The forum also removed links to BBKA and to other web sites.

Just a typo on my part it seems :oops:
Fixed it though.

I have found Abello is cheaper plus good quality & fast delivery
Abelo is cheaper for a lot of stuff, they also have a first rate customer service/engagement.
Thornes have always been geared up for the hobbyist with money to spend on gadgets and who don't always worry about the cost (remember that 'modern' beekeeping in this country was once primarily the pastime of dilettante middle class retirees and retired colonial colonels!)
However, their 'second quality' hive parts and frames, very much like Maisemore's are hard to beat on cost or quality. You usually find that most of us have different 'favourite' suppliers for different things.
It pays to shop around, especially with the new players now on the market such as Ian at Old Castle farm, Simon the Beekeeper, and others.

You usually find that most of us have different 'favourite' suppliers for different things.
It pays to shop around, especially with the new players now on the market such as Ian at Old Castle farm, Simon the Beekeeper, and others.
:iagree: Which supplier I use depends on exactly what I want. I usually like Maisie's 2nds for frames/boxes, but as JBM says, Thornes is good for gadgets and has a huge range so that you can get the stuff the others just don't sell (like a decent press in queen cage). Caddon Hives have some great quality boxes, and the price is good for the quality. I find STBK great for castellations, small quantities of foundation, cheap beekeeping jackets for guests etc. etc. and of course Abelo is cheap for a lot of stuff.

However, their 'second quality' hive parts and frames, very much like Maisemore's are hard to beat on cost or quality. You usually find that most of us have different 'favourite' suppliers for different things.
I’ve been lucky to have local suppliers since starting out.
Maisemore was on my way home from work and now Old Castle Farm just up the road.

Abelo is cheaper for a lot of stuff, they also have a first rate customer service/engagement.
Thornes have always been geared up for the hobbyist with money to spend on gadgets and who don't always worry about the cost (remember that 'modern' beekeeping in this country was once primarily the pastime of dilettante middle class retirees and retired colonial colonels!)
I have not really been a fan of online shopping as I always liked to see the goods in situ.
After a recent experience buying from a supply company in Cornwall this has strengthened this viewpoint.
I bought several observation crown boards made from paulownia wood.
The boards are not as expected.
The 2 feeding holes have been placed too close to the wooden frame so that a syrup feeder does not fit flush causing the problem of bees escaping up the gap or if I place the feeder flush over the polycarbonate hole space the feeder only allows small partial access for the bees to enter to feed.
The owners response has been...Not a Problem they ( the bees) Have access and when I responded that the boards were not correctly made I have been ghosted.
I will be sticking with Thornes in future as in my experience shopping online has been buyer beware!

Latest posts

Back