Thornes on line sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Any one got a price list from last year?
I am just putting together a shopping list and want a rough idea how much it will all cost.

They usually send out a teasing e-mail but not had one yet so if someone has one from last year can you post it please.
As the sale is on 29th December it beats the VAT increase.

VAT increase is after their sale, so it will all be at 15%

VAT returns to old level on January 1 2010. That will not all be at 15%. Only on-line orders (presumably paid for) before the beginning of the year will be at 15% VAT. Any on-line orders after that will attract 17.5% VAT. The shop opens on the 6th (I think) so all the winter sale items bought personally in the shop will be 17.5%.

Regards, RAB

Don't forget the VAT will be going up along with the prices in January.

Sorry to burst peoples bubbles, i have the old cataloge from march 2008 and they have sent me the new one, march 2009, the prices we pay are the exactly the same in both cat's.
On a closer look, when the goverment lowered the VAT they , thornes, did NOT pass on the VAT decrease of 2.5%.
Now they are stating that they WILL be puting up their prices Due to the VAT increase. I personally it is taking the biscuit.:svengo:

If you dont agree then thats okay, this is my view

TB

let me get this right, your saying they never passed on the lowering of vat and are now about hike prices due to vat rising?

just seen PererS post below, that is true, their prices are quoted excluding vat anyway so in reality does this just mean their prices have not been raised in the last couple of years?

Last edited:
As Veg says, it starts this year on 29th Dec so anything ordered and paid for before 1st Jan will be at 15%.

Their prices are usually quoted VAT exclusive and anything I've bought in the past few months has had the correct level of VAT added.

On a closer look, when the goverment lowered the VAT they , thornes, did NOT pass on the VAT decrease of 2.5%
Now they are stating that they WILL be puting up their prices Due to the VAT increase. I personally it is taking the biscuit.

That is completely wrong TB

I bought in the online sale last January and paid 15% vat. On the computer invoice the vat was 17.5% but they corrected it when they did the credit card payments. And payment through the shop has been 15% all year.

Frisbee

hi all, i have the two price lists here, i will quote a few prices, however you cant beat comparing the prices in person.

march 2008 march 2009
with out VAT with Vat Without VAT with VAT
10 dn2 frames £10.49 £12.32 £10.72 £12.32
manual poly extractor £323.88 £380.56 £330.92 £380.56
flat national hive complete £177.14 £208.14 £180.99 £208.14

So in March they put their prices up by roughly 2.5%.

Prices tend to rise roughly with the rate of inflation, the currency exchange rate and other factors. All it means is there were 2 1/2% price increases on those particular items. I can show you a 40%+ rise in price on a particular item between the two price lists. The one thing (as far as I know) Thorne do, is honour their price lists for the full period. They may make sure the rates will cover their contracted prices from their suppliers.

But to suggest they were not charging the correct rate of VAT is an untruth. It was only the government who were causing VAT changes, not Thorne. It is only the government who derive benefit from the tax.

RAB

Last edited:
march 2008 march 2009
with out VAT with Vat Without VAT with VAT
10 dn2 frames £10.49 £12.32 £10.72 £12.32
manual poly extractor £323.88 £380.56 £330.92 £380.56
flat national hive complete £177.14 £208.14 £180.99 £208.14

As TB quoted from a select number of items, the base price changed (went up) and the VAT was lowered. Net result for us was Thornes implemented a 2.5% price increase on items for sale. I expect that price increases are inevitable, and the amount decided on by Thornes is their business.

The catalogue (2009) does state that the VAT rates are at 15% and all my dealings have been charged appropriately.

The price changes may appear to be misleading at first glance, but I am happy that nothing untoward has been done, just that the increase seems coincidental with the VAT decrease. Some commodities go up in price others go down. Looks like these ones go up.

It wasn't quite coincidental, but effectively correct. The VAT changed during the life of the previous catalogue (December 1st). All prices (incl.VAT) went down by the 2 1/2 % VAT reduction until they were correctly shown in the new catalogue prices (March 2009).

The opposite will be happening on Jan 1st 2010, when all the catalogue prices (incl. VAT will be wrong), but the prices charged by Thorne (excl.VAT) will be the same. Everything will be corrected when the new price list comes out for March. I would expect there will be some price adjustments at that time.

Not looked but the online prices should have been correct, as presumably there is a simple VAT setting column in a spreadsheet programme somewhere.

Example: look at Moving hives, Adjustable fasteners:- £3.09 per pair in 2008, £4.34 in 2009.

That represented a 40% increase for a lower cost product (IMO). So far the electroplating on the new product seems to be holding up better than the old version. They supplied mine at the lower rate, as they honoured their price at the time of ordering but I cannot remember when they actually arrived, possibly after March 1st. It meant that my fasteners were only about 20p/pair dearer than the non-adjustable ones in the 2009 price list. A result for me.

Regards, RAB

What was the price of there national seconds: brood and supers and there sn/dn4 frames in the last sales.

fyi, Thornes will be sending out advance price lists for their sale, spoke to them today.

Also, Paynes will be starting their sale on Christmas Day, or Boxing Day, details to be placed on their website soon.

They supplied mine at the lower rate, as they honoured their price at the time of ordering but I cannot remember when they actually arrived, possibly after March 1st.

Thanks RAB,
your explanation was clearer than mine :)

"TAX Point"
"Current tax point rules for these supplies mean that VAT becomes due only when a VAT invoice is issued or a payment is received, whichever is earlier."

This is why the Thornes sale starts on the 29th, so that anyone ordering between now and the 1st will be taxed at the current rate (15%), yet deliveries can be made at anytime as it does not affect the VAT input.

Back