Thornes Budget Hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I can see that it looks much nicer but....

the last one went for £175 on eBay for 1 x brood, only 1 x super and no frames or foundation.

I know if you pay more you get better quality but there is a big difference in £125 for a complete hive and £175 for a nice brood and super.

It depends on what you want to spend the bees really wont mind either way. :cheers2:

Back to Peters orginal question, yes it is a good package when you add up what you get compared to Thornes normal prices.

The member who sells the hives on Ebay does a much better price direct if you contact him using the telephone number in his Ebay ad.

He only uses Ebay to advertise.

Hi Peter,

I have had three of these budget kits. The first one at the beginning of the year was OK. Yes it was not the best of finishes but nothing some 'O' level woodworking skills could not fix. The last two were not very good at all. The first issue was it took three weeks to deliver them, demand was high it would seem. The next was the quality of timber, I needed to rip four grooves into the both sides of one BB before I could get it flat and I had to use a lot more percussion engineering than I would have liked to get the others to fit. Lastly both crown boards were 'domed' in the center. If I had got them on time I would have sent them back but I needed to get them out as the two nucs I had requeened were ready to be moved. If I get them again I will clarify what I am buying and in good time.

Mike.

.... percussion engineering ....

:laughing-smiley-014

If you're just starting (like us) you might want to talk to your local BKA. Ours sells the Thorne's second grade hive complete for £110 in flat pack. That includes the mesh floor, brood box and super, QE, crown board and roof, plus frames and foundation, so it's nearly the same package as the Thorne's budget hive (1 super instead of 2).

I've now assembled a couple of these, plus a couple of first grade supers. The second grade boxes DO require a certain amount of judicious sanding and the use of a mallet. But with a little care they can be made quite adequately square and watertight. We glued and screwed ours rather than nailed them.

Thanks for the input - I'll give it all some more deep thought!

cheers

I can heartily recommend Peters hives, as admin says the ebay bit is more of a shop front.
I have one from him which is sat at our branch aipary and everyone has commented on the quality.
You could always try getting a quote from him via a pm on the forum, he posts on here as "Hivemaker"

David

I ordered 80 sheets of national wired deep. On arrival if you touched the wiring it came adrift from the foundation I immediately phoned to complain and the replacements were shipped the next day with the request that next time I was down at Windsor could I drop it to them. Crap QC but brilliant response.

I bought a beginners hive at last years Wragby sale and it went together a treat. As for quality control at the moment, I have popped in on my way back from Lincoln a couple of times in the last month and they have had nothing in the shop. If you wanted a hive then you have no chance.
Last time I went in, the guy said they have never been so busy. Flat out with no sign of stopping. I don't expect too many bargains in the sales this year.

I bought their top package, mainly because it came with an extractor for not much extra - and a good bit cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I was a little dubious at the price, but I have to say, I am very pleased with it. I didn't really have any problems with building it, and the quality is very good. I didn't really need the extra clothing, but it's pretty useful to have some spares.

I've ordered another (hive only) so we'll see if that's as good, but based on my experience, I would recommend them.

Latest posts

Back