Thornes budget beekeeping kits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I'm hoping to get my first colony this season and I'm thinking of ordering one of the Thornes budget beekeeping kits as they're unbelievably cheap when all the competition is taken into account.

Does anyone know how good the quality of the hives and other equipment in this kit is? The smoker looks like one of the cheaper one's but the rest looks ok. If anyone has one of the hives then any pictures would be great.

thanks

i have had 2 of the hives from them and they are fine, they are the best i have had for that money i know that some people have had a few nots in them but nothing wrong with them. i would order early as can sometimes take awaile to come. well good luck in beekeeping Andy

Currently on their web site delivery is 8 weeks. I have ordered one to see how they are.

They are not fantastic looking with rough areas, knots etc.. They do go together properly and, in any case, once they have been outside for a couple of years, you wont be able to tell them apart from the first quality variety. National hives are not particularly decorative whatever quality of wood is used.

I've bought 5 of them and cant say I was disappointed with any of them.

I have had my one for over a year now. they are very good deal for the money . smoker works fine and they bees have not complaned .

I have only ever bought second grade hives anyway so a couple of knots and rough grain I can cope with at that price.

if you see thornes hives advertised on Ebay they are normally 2nd bees on a budget bought for £125 and sold for more on ebay

but its a 6 to 8 week lead in at present ( they sold all their stock at stoneleigh bee convention

it you want a quality made up one then on here hivemaker or Tom Bick make good hive better than thorns. send them a private message

for really cheepo ply hive FRAGILE PLANET

remeber the bees on a budget is a standard brood and you will problalber need to enlarge it to 14x12 with either a new brood box or and extension EKE £20 and larger frames @ £17 plus £15 for larger foundation for 10

Last edited:
All I have is the 2nd's, their just as solid as the standard ones, you just might get the odd knot or two.

Thanks for the advice. It's pretty much what I expected so I think probably order one and see how it goes. Shame they sold out at Stoneleigh. I was there but went to the beginners lecture. By the time I made it to the sales halls the Thorne's area appeared pretty sold out.

The hives are great apart from the odd knot but they are only aesthetic and do not affect the integrity of the hive. My smokers was not very good, after a year it clogged up badly and when I used a bit of force to open it up the handle came off (maybe I'm too heavy handed).
The jacket zip broke on mine after a few months but was fixable and has been used regularly since.
For a cedar hive the price is great.

I've noticed the difference in quality between Thorne's and National Beekeeping flat-packed hives and supers. But there's a price difference too!

I've always found Thorne's equipment good enough; what's always impressed me has been the quick delivery time.

Back