Thorne's Bain Marie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Has anyone used the Bain Marie from thornes?

We have just received ours and on first use found that water leaks from the area that the outer skin and inner pot join. It drips straight into the candle moulds.

I've emailed thornes assuming this is a defect but was wondering if anyone here uses one and had a similar issue.

The water here in Essex is so hard that the leaks may well seal themselves with lime scale eventually. 😜

I have no experience of the equipment, but hard water and wax is not a good mix. The calcium in the water forms " soaps" with the wax.
I use a large stainless steel cafetière ( charity shop) in a pan of water. It is a good pourer and does a good final filter with the inbuilt plunger.
Living in Essex I have a water softener, but still always use rain water for my wax stuff.

I have no experience of the equipment, but hard water and wax is not a good mix. The calcium in the water forms " soaps" with the wax.
I use a large stainless steel cafetière ( charity shop) in a pan of water. It is a good pourer and does a good final filter with the inbuilt plunger.
Living in Essex I have a water softener, but still always use rain water for my wax stuff.

The water and the wax don't mix in this equipment. At least they wouldn't if it didn't leak. Hopefully thornes will address the issue.

The water and the wax don't mix in this equipment. At least they wouldn't if it didn't leak. Hopefully thornes will address the issue.
I use a Blaine Marie from Lakeland plastics . Had it for donkeys years . No Bain Marie doesn’t leak .
if sealed the built up pressure would blow the top off, boiling water and wax is the last thing you want releasing into you work area .
experiment a little . Don’t use too much water, remember to allow for the displacement of the wax holding vesse.a
the wax is fluid at around 60/5° C. Therefore reduce the temperature.
Ive made all the mistakes quoted .
I'mh now a dab hand .
finally ,when pouring the wax, lift the wax holding vessel off the Bain Marie a quick wipe with a dry cloth and there’s no water to get in the wax !
AD5C55D1-7618-43CA-9378-56A8079129B6.jpeg

It has a pressure release/filler spout on the side, double walled. Sounds like you were just unfortunate where the metal rim is crimped.
I haven’t seen one . As before , mine is simple and adequate 😌
apologies to the author !

It has a pressure release/filler spout on the side, double walled. Sounds like you were just unfortunate where the metal rim is crimped.
Yup this is the one. Thorne's have just replied saying this must be a faulty unit and are sending out a replacement.

We have just received ours and on first use found that water leaks from the area that the outer skin and inner pot join. It drips straight into the candle moulds.

I've emailed thornes assuming this is a defect but was wondering if anyone here uses one and had a similar issue.

The water here in Essex is so hard that the leaks may well seal themselves with lime scale eventually. 😜
I have a few - none have leaked

I had exactly the same problem with the same bain marie from Thorne's. Seems as though it's a common fault, and really annoying to find water pouring into your moulds along with the wax. The issue with mine wasn't that the edge hadn't been crimped over at that point, but that in smoothing off the edge they had gone too far. Couldn't be bothered to try to sort it with Thornes so just got my dad to solder it. Works great now 😀

Latest posts

Back