THorne sale prices on line

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only person that seems to of had some quality problems which have been posted was CB.....but seems to be just a bad batch.

I had a large Swienty order this spring. This year's poly seems softer than before, most noticeable on the 3/4 boxes. And if you drop one it breaks (thanks Hombre!), even though no honey in it. Bees also chewed out of one after fat drones blocked Porter escapes. Swienty kit from previous years has tolerated all kinds of abuse and it's only woodpeckers and being run over (thanks again Hombre!) that seem to do any damage. Maybe this years was just a dud batch?

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88958#post88958

Thinking more about this..........
Not sure if the density of the Swienty mini nuc's is the same as the full size hives,but this year the bee's are eating/nibbling away around the entrances of the kieler one's, started earlier in season with just one,but now several have been eaten away around both entrances,yet new swi-bines from last year don't seem to be suffering with any nibbling problems....,both models come from swienty,so could it be just a bad batch of poly this year?

Seen someone insert some plastic tume as like a liner for a nuc entrace, bees could not eat through the plastic.

Yes,beebreeder (kev) was going to do this....not easy with the lower entrances though,even with the slide pulled right forward they are still mining it out. But the main point is is it a bad batch regards density....as the older swi bines don't have this problem,will the next batch of kielers also not have this problem,time will tell.

isn't wax foundation included in sale items?

Last year was the only year it has been included in the sale in the past ten years. There were some suggestions that some of the sales items were really poor seconds - didn't fit the frames and so were not usable without trimming.

Regards, RAB

Just ordered some frames, 14x12BB and a spare mesh floor.

Ssshhhh don't tell the wife!!

Ian

My order has gone in. Ordered about 50% more than I know I need so I have at least a spare brood, floor and roof minimum and I managed to spend £300.

Placed my order, which leaves only wax to order for next season and a lot of assembly!

Oh and maybe a poly hive to try!

I must have had a rogue email - prices on the sale site were quite different to those on the sale email...Hubby said no more 'stuff'...boo-hiss...no sale goodies for me....

Last edited:
Oooops! Merci Monsieur! I must admit after posting I cheated...he who must be obeyed was distracted by his computer game...so I suggested I bought a few 14x12 frames and a strainer...he agreed and of course a few extras 'fell' into the basket...he said yes though didn't he?? Not my fault he doesn't remember! It sometimes helps to be married to someone older than me!!!

I must have had a rogue email - prices on the sale site were quite different to those on the sale email...Hubby said no more 'stuff'...boo-hiss...no sale goodies for me....

You'll probably find the difference was VAT.

Latest posts

Back