Thorne Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.Cookson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 at the minute
I'm looking at buying a Thorne WBC sometime soon & I am led to believe that they have a winter sale, so that might be a good time to pay them a visit.

Question is, does anyone know when this sale is likely to be ?

Mouseguard

Would 1/2" wire mesh be ok to use as a mouseguard or would l need a smaller mesh or what size would l need to drill a metal strip if l was to make my own.
Regards
Liam C.

They are having an Autumn Sale (for shop visitors only) - the Lincolnshire one would now seem likely to be after the Windsor one - maybe October.
_BUT_ there are no WBC hive parts in the lists for Scotland, Windsor and Stockbridge.

They have had online sales at New Year, but haven't announced anything for this winter yet. And there are no guarantees as to what they may have on offer.

Would 1/2" wire mesh be ok to use as a mouseguard or would l need a smaller mesh or what size would l need to drill a metal strip if l was to make my own.
Regards
Liam C.

If you want to make your own then take an entrance block and hammer in some frame pins at bee space apart...rather like a portcullis. Very effective and doesn't strip pollen.

Many thanks.

I'll keep an eye on the website then.

It would be the Lincs one I'll visit.

I've seen stuff in B&Queue that could be used as mouse trap.. Less than £4 for 2 metres.

Regards
Liam C.

How did a question on mouse guards turn up in a thread about Thorne winter sales.

People are answering too.

:ot:

I'm looking at buying a Thorne WBC sometime soon & I am led to believe that they have a winter sale, so that might be a good time to pay them a visit.

Question is, does anyone know when this sale is likely to be ?

Does the hive have to be from Th0rnes? Ma1semore will be having a sale too.

Just a note about WBC's. (Which I don't own...)

The external cladding "lifts" are not well standardised. Don't count on mixing bits from different suppliers! Reputedly, some WBC lifts will fit round a standard national brood box. (That gives you an extra frame - a 10% bigger brood area -- the WBC is small.) However, not all will manage that trick.
Standardisation is an excellent thing. (But loose for WBC.)

Because the 'proper' WBC brood box is kinda small, most people run them as brood and a half or double brood. Personally, I prefer bigger frames to multi-brood. And Thorne (and likely others) do offer a 14x12 WBC option ...

The other thing to be aware of about WBCs is that, once housing bees, they are a pain to shift. Irrelevant most of the time for most owners, but it can become awfully important.

Does the hive have to be from Th0rnes? Ma1semore will be having a sale too.

No, doesn't have to be a Thorne, it was just one of the makers I looked at & I liked the fact that they look well made/good quality & not too far away from me, so I could visit them, look around & pick up what I needed.

Where are ******** situated ?

itma, I am aware of the different sizes, which is one of the things I will be carefull of, once I have decided which manufacturer to go with I will stick with them, your comment on Nationals & WBC is also on my radar. I may go National 1st then get a WBC case later, purely for spreading the cost.

Thanks for the replies so far.

No, doesn't have to be a Thorne, it was just one of the makers I looked at & I liked the fact that they look well made/good quality & not too far away from me, so I could visit them, look around & pick up what I needed.

Where are ******** situated ?

Thanks for the replies so far.

If *** starts Mais... it's just slightly NW of Gloucester in a village called,funnily enough, Maisemore. if you put mai.. apiaries into google maps - points you right there

Latest posts

Back