Thorne extractor - brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydragon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've recently bought a Thorne's Universal Manual Lightweight Polythene Radial extractor.

As well as Manley super frames, I'll also have some NS brood frames to extract as well.

The Thornes catalogue states 'This cage will only take brood frames when screens are fitted'

Before I spend additional money on a set of frames described as 'These will convert your nine frame radial into a tangential machine'. I wanted to check whether the frames are really necessary? ie. why does it take a radial setup to extract brood frames? and why won't the standard radial cage work ok?

Have any members used this radial extractor with NS brood frames, with or without screens?

Most radial extractors are sized for super frames and there isn't enough distance from the central axis to the outside of the cage to fit brood frames, therefore they have to be placed tangentially (usually as three corners of a triangle) and the only way to do this is with another cage or presumably a removable screen to convert the radial cage in the case of the Thornes extractor. Not sure how this would fit though as I used a Thones radial cage to convert my three frame tangential extractor.

The small 2 frame tangential extractors that Thornes sell will take both super and brood frames.

there isn't enough distance from the central axis to the outside of the cage to fit brood frames
Thanks Martin.That answers my question. Looks like I will need to buy a set of screens to enable the radial cage to take brood frames in a tangential layout.

Not sure how this would fit though as I used a Thones radial cage to convert my three frame tangential extractor.
I think you can convert the radial cage to be a tangential cage by adding the optional screens...but not the other way around (ie. I don't think you can convert a tangential into a radial, or at least not without adding a complete new cage).

I bought a budget extractor from Thornes last season and the spindle went rusty. After two emails to them am still awaiting a reponse.

The Thornes catalogue states 'This cage will only take brood frames when screens are fitted'

I think they are saying 'the tangential extractor will only take brood frames when screens are fitted', and not the radial version. The radial will take any frame.

I think they are saying 'the tangential extractor will only take brood frames when screens are fitted', and not the radial version. The radial will take any frame.

The radial cage will only take super frames fitted radially. Without the tangential screen the only way you'd be able to fit a brood frame is with the aid of an axe.

The radial cage will only take super frames fitted radially. Without the tangential screen the only way you'd be able to fit a brood frame is with the aid of an axe.

How unrefined ,you could at least have advised the use of a saw , splinters don't strain very well.

Latest posts

Back