Thorne 3rd quality brood boxes and supers...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Tempted to try a gamble with the 3rds quality brood boxes and supers from Thorne.. Have anyone bought from them before and are they worthwhile or more hassle than it's worth??

How much is your time worth?

My experience was that giving up on one box saved a lot of hassle. Some of these pieces can be useful to fix the remainder or, if you have a table saw, you can make up a couple of ekes maybe.
Half? the remaining pieces needed a split or rot or a knot hole fixing and then you can start putting the 4 boxes together. Which is where you would start if you bought 2nds.

I now buy 2nds and my time's worth very little.
. . .. . Ben

If you have decent bodging skills and a lot of time you can make them work.
Any that need filler which is most will also need painting.
Knot holes upto about 40mm, badly machined rebates, damaged rebates and edges were what I found.
If you spend £100 on a router, £20 on a hole saw, £200 on a cordless drill, £20 on wood filler and £20 on paint and a lot of time and glue you might get 4 out of the 5 built.
I won't be buying them again. Built 80 thirds supers and 28 thirds brood boxes last winter.
If your time is free and you like pottering then go for it.

I wa tempted until I read this........ Bugger

Bought national super 3rds last year and with little effort I got 13 supers out of the 15 bought and managed to make a couple of eyes with the leftovers, so not too bad for myself.
With 10ltrs of end of line woodsman for £5 and some B&Q own brand filler got a good deal.

Will be buying again this year, Also hopefully see what there 3rd brood boxes are like if available.

Latest posts

Back