Tho**es honey grading glass kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone bought these yet? I've just had my pack delivered and they feel more like plastic. I rang T****es and they assured me they were glass. Just wondered if anyone else has any views on them

at our last club meeting we had a honey judge speaker who had both plastic and glass ones, no difference in his mind

Just checked, and they are plastic. the fact that they work just as well is not the point. They advertise glass, I expect glass. They have now offered a refund, but I think others should be aware what they are getting for £30!

at our last club meeting we had a honey judge speaker who had both plastic and glass ones, no difference in his mind

Well he needs new eyes then (or a new mind) there is a distinct difference in shade between the dark glass and the dark plastic one the light glasses seem to be the same

Just checked, and they are plastic. the fact that they work just as well is not the point. They advertise glass, I expect glass. They have now offered a refund, but I think others should be aware what they are getting for £30!

that's a bit naughty it they are described as glass, and they are plastic.

that's why they have nice, ground corners, and not sharp!

the word "glass" can refer to both a material and an object.

as in "glasses", "eyeglass", "spyglass" , "magnifying glass" and so on - referring to optical instruments including one or more lenses.

ok in modern parlance we only tend to refer to binocular sight correcting devices but the other uses are still correct. I'm sure your local cyberpunk can provide many examples of correct usage.

so IMHO T*ornes are fine referring to glasses in their sense. what matters is that they work correctly. if they are not up to the job then return and ask for refund but if they do the job just be thankful that they won't be as liable to breakage as a proper glass set.

Not aware of many people starting threads on fora or asking for refunds when served a "glass" of wine in a plastic vessel!!!!

Last edited:
Perhaps my principles are getting in the way, but I refer back to my earlier posts. I can partly accept a vague definition with the word glass. I was concerned at the outset that proper glass guides are rare so I specifically asked if they were glass before confirming the order. They said yes so order placed. Thought they were plastic when they arrived so asked again. Again they confirmed they were glass. Not until I checked myself that they finally agreed they were plastic. I therefore still believe I was miss sold and that they should clearly state in the advert these grading glasses are made of plastic. Similar to the definition fuss over honey?

Honey grading glasses are grading glasses whether they are glass or plastic - same as we still used to refer to the ship's barometer as 'the glass' even though it was an aneroid and not a Torriccelli.
But I agree if they had specifically stated that the honey glasses were made of glass not plastic then they were misdescribed.

"Drinks in glass may not be taken into the auditorium, please ask for your drink in a plastic glass".
Not always as clear as it might be.

In science of materials terms, thermoplastics are examples of glass structures ...

What actually matters is the characteristic light transmission, rather than how that is achieved. Nevertheless, I'd agree that Thorne's should make clear in the product description if these are thermoplastic rather than silica-based glassware. And try and get the telephone staff to familiarise themselves with new products before customers start asking about them ... ;)

Does it really matter, probably thornes thought they were glass as I can't see them trying to mislead anyone.

Well lets see if they amend their advert now they know! To be fair, the phone staff are always polite as on this occasion and genuinely did not know they were plastic.

Latest posts

Back