This years foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronkie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I started beekeeping this year and bought 2 complete hives from Thornes which came with enough of everything needed to start, including enough foundation and frames to fill a brood and 2 supers each.
Me in my wisdom assembled all the frames that came but as I started late in the season only used half the amount of frames that I had, inconcequence the other half have been sitting in the shed unused.
They are not as yellow in colour as some new foundation that I have bought in the last few weeks that I shall be leaving in the wrapping until I hopefully have to us it next year.
I have been told that these unused frames will not be of much use next year and I need to re-foundation these frames.
Is this correct?

Use them
Give them a quick blast with a hairdryer before you put them in the box.

No.

Provided the foundation is not damaged it will be fine especially if given a once over with a hair dryer to refresh the oils in the wax.

Best though to keep your spare foundation in the packet until almost needed.

PH

I think you mean they have lost their gloss/shiny look and gone dull. I believe if you use a hair dryer on a warm setting and gently warm them up they should come back to an as new look. They are then perfectly useable and readily accepted by bees.

I am sure others will quickly come along and comment.

Utter rubbish. Were you told this by a Thorne's supplier...

Shove 'em in an airing cupboard for an hour and they will be as good as new.

Bees in the wild don't get the aid of any foundation to "draw out" their combs so they aren't going to be picky!

Ben P

you could give the frames / foundation a quick spray with 1:1 syrup immediately before use

this often encourages the bees to start working it

Thanks guys, it did seem to be a waste, I will give the air dryer a go tomorrow on a damaged frame tomorrow.

Wait untill you need em. Not in the middle of winter when you do not need foundation.

Aye,
Further tip there is better foundation out there. Might not be cheaper but.... what do you want from foundation? Bonny drawn comb might be one answer, and if so there are ways to achieve that, and one way is to buy good foundation.

PH

Latest posts

Back