This isn't Balsam is it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My hive is close to a stream and on the banks lots of these pink flowers are growing and I can see quite a few bees working them.

When I first saw them last week I thought they must be Himalayan Balsam due to the pink colour and my bees were returning with pollen on their backs. After googling Himalayan Balsam it looks like the flowers are quite different and these didn't have the seed pods that I've seen described.

So does anyone know what these plants are? or am I mistaken and they are actually HB?

No, it looks a bit like RB willow herb, but it's not...it's on the tip of my tongue...loads of it round here in the park ( off to get me book out ;) )

Last edited:
Don't know what your plants they are but they are not Balsam, I have loads of it down by the river and the bees love it still with plenty of forage. With Balsam the flower are in a small cluster on the top of a long stem.

psssssst dolbz
balsam picture
3443yo1.jpg

That's quite a nice one broandy. For dolbz, you can just see the beginning of the seed pod going behind the top flower. Just brush them when ripe and they pop.

Thanks Kaz :) and thanks Broandy for a great Balsam pic.

I've never really been into plants that aren't veg until I got my bees. All of a sudden every flower I see I'm trying to identify to see if the bees will be on it :D

Hi

Are you sure it's willow herb, looks a little different to the normal flower spikes.

Regards Ian

To give it its full name, it is Great Hairy Willow Herb , or Epilobium hirsutum. My bees have been very busy on it this summer - it is still going when the Rosebay Willow Herb has finished

Yep great willow herb It grows quite happily along with rose bay around here !!

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back