This is what happens when a colony is left in a chimney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have liked to see the pics, but couldn't be bothered to wait the half hour for them to download.

You on a 28k modem? - they're not the "lightest weight" images I've ever seen, but came down like the proverbial dingbat on my broadband connection!
(not the slightest halt or delay - wallop, full pictures!)

GPRS mobile phone network. Some of us cannot afford a phone line.

I think web designers forget these days that there are more people getting on-line via the mobile phone network.

lmao, gprs cheap than a land line?

the interesting pic the one up the chimney, still shed loads of bees and some comb up there -> whats the plan to sort?

pics now on smaller file, sorry.

gprs mobile phone network. Some of us cannot afford a phone line.

I think web designers forget these days that there are more people getting on-line via the mobile phone network.
[/attach][/attach][/attach][/attach]

I've been to the loo (sure you all wanted to know that) and the pics have downloaded now.

Dudley - surely the queen you managed to excellently find is a mated and egg laying queen if there is brood?

You have to feel sorry for the bees.

lmao, gprs cheap than a land line?

the interesting pic the one up the chimney, still shed loads of bees and some comb up there -> whats the plan to sort?

From my photos I think I can just see the underside of the chimney pot. So the colony is not too far down, so I could do a cut out. I have just done a chimney cut out (see my other posts) which was a success but I will not do them without a scaffold.
They only called me out to clear the room of bees but I am going back tomorrow to tidy up and see if the undamaged bees did make it back up to the top. I get the feeling these people just want to close off the flue and forget their up there. Maybe it comes down to the money.
I have posted another pic of a Queen that emerged from the mess on the floor. I would not have noticed her if it were not for the unmistakable buzzzzz buzzzzz sound and traced her to the wall.

I've been to the loo (sure you all wanted to know that) and the pics have downloaded now.

Dudley - surely the queen you managed to excellently find is a mated and egg laying queen if there is brood?

You have to feel sorry for the bees.

Possible, but because of the buzzzzz buzzzzzz buzzzzzz sound she made when she was not moving I think she had just emerged. I have heard that distinctive sound of that the virgin makes when I have opened up a colony with queen cells, and while the workers have been distracted have allowed the queen to emerge, and it was that same noise/sound today.

Last edited:
How do you go about removing a colony like that without 3rd party insurance?

I`d hate to think how much it would cost if i turned up to remove a colony like that from a chimney, dislodged a few combs of honey, and found myself liable for a new sitting room carpet etc.

Darren.

I`d hate to think how much it would cost if i turned up to remove a colony like that from a chimney, dislodged a few combs of honey, and found myself liable for a new sitting room carpet etc.

Darren.

If you're in the BBKA you already have third party insurance. It's a bit grey if you charge for it, then you are a commercial operator and I'd guess you'd need your own insurance.

Adam

Public Liability insurance is a must

Originally Posted by darrenperrett

Darren.

If you're in the BBKA you already have third party insurance. It's a bit grey if you charge for it, then you are a commercial operator and I'd guess you'd need your own insurance.

Adam

I have covered this in a previous thread by Steve Sutherland on the 21st June when insurance was brought up.

To answer the above it would not be right for anyone to carry out work on peoples property without full Public Liability and Employers liability if you had help.
I am fortunate to have both as I am a Carpenter and Builder and employer. My only restriction is that we cannot work at height, that is above 3 storeys and cannot use naked flame. There is no exclusion to working with bees, I have checked.
But as it is a policy one has to buy if I had not already got it I would not do these cut outs.
I enjoy working with bees, I like helping people, and above all saving the bees from being killed.
Steve.

just as an aside, I use a sony play station portable (wi-fied) to post etc, photos down in seconds, never had delay yet, don't ask me,....ask the kids. Lol. dtg.

Latest posts

Back