this is intense!....wow!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ugh, after it bit that bee in half i switched off......dislike :(

they ever come near my girls I'm getting the fly spray out....serious

fortunatly we don't have them in the uk, they are the Japanese Hornet.
An absolutly fascinating creature, there is a really good 4 part series all about them on your tube called something like The bee, the monk and the hornet, it's all about a monk in japan who keeps japanese honey bees and how they defend themselves against this predator.

The European honey bee has no defence against this creature, that's why it's a favoured target of the hornet. In their defence, they also prey on wasps with equal verocity so I give them a big thumbs up. You can put guards in to the hives against these hornets, then you just have to monitor the hives. Does mean daily examinations and outlying apiaries are always going to be at risk.

It's unlikely that they will ever spread from Japan as are particularly sensitive to climate, therefore they usually die out within the first season so you're unlikly to see any on your doorstep any time soon :coolgleamA:

It's unlikely that they will ever spread from Japan as are particularly sensitive to climate, therefore they usually die out within the first season so you're unlikly to see any on your doorstep any time soon :coolgleamA:

awesome video but thank goodness.

Dont count your chickens, the Asian Hornet is in France as we speak.:leaving:

In their defence, they also prey on wasps with equal verocity so I give them a big thumbs up.

Pleased you like them,we could well have them in the uk next year.:party:

Last edited:
That's an awesome action shot there :hurray:

My wife has just purchased a new and rather expensive camera so next year I will be borrowing it to take some action shots deep within the hive, I'll post some of them up here for all to see bee-smillie

"
It's unlikely that they will ever spread from Japan as are particularly sensitive to climate, therefore they usually die out within the first season so you're unlikly to see any on your doorstep any time soon "

They said that about varroa.

Probably his competitive neighbour's bees Ben. He wouldn't like to miss the opportunity of a decent movie clip to show the neighbour exactly what went wrong . . .

Hopefully not around here too soon.

It's also rather hard to stop them once they've started attacking a hive.

I said that they are very sensitive to climate etc, there is a smaller version of this wasp that lives in china. People have already tried to introduce this wasp into other countries, I read of one instance where a colony was raised in germany. They didn't survive for long, I'm not even sure if they were able to make the queens. Please don't quote me on this particular colony, the website I was reading about it on could have all just been a load of :icon_bs:

Take a look at what happens to people stung by these creatures, it's not pleasant at all. I love to look at them and study them via youtube and the written word but I'll be happy if the little buggers stay in japan:p

This ones been posted before. Looks very much like a put up job and if so should be condemmed. Just how did they get those clear interior pictures while all this carnage was getting on?

Latest posts

Back