This is a video of me using a hot air gun for those interested!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one was a couple of years old but it works on ones that are twenty years old!

Just curious as to what happens to the wax!?
I was expecting to see it dripping from the bottom, but it seems to disappear altogether.
No wax cappings for candles?

I have used hot air gun before. It only works if there is air under the capping. Little discs of wax ping in all directions. It annoys she who must be obeyed. It's banned in my kitchen!

Easy method of uncapping but If you are not bothered about getting no wax to make candles than that's fine

Hi Eric, does it work with older capped frames, frames that have been in the hive longer and the cappings have sunk.?
It only works with cappings that have not soaked up honey. It will work on old cappings but not wet ones. I always keep an electric hot knife handy but rarely use it. If there are a few soaked cappings I just run the blade of my hive tool across them! You only need to puncture the capping to release the honey.

I have used hot air gun before. It only works if there is air under the capping. Little discs of wax ping in all directions. It annoys she who must be obeyed. It's banned in my kitchen!
I agree you don't want to do it near a wall other uncovered surfaces. I have a dedicated room for extraction so I am lucky. I use a paint scraper to lift any unwanted wax spots off surface. It really isn't that bad but i understand how it may upset people who didn't understand 😉

Yes: if you heat them to weaken the cappings and subsequently score them with a multi pronged scraper as you put them into the extractor (to avoid honey dribbling everywhere..)

Yes: if you heat them to weaken the cappings and subsequently score them with a multi pronged scraper as you put them into the extractor (to avoid honey dribbling everywhere..)
Ah but that's a dual action so it's heating and uncapping ....or scoring

I find that the molten wax collects in small globules around some of the cells so it's best to quickly follow by scratching with an uncapping fork to disperse these globules which would otherwise stop these cells from emptying properly.

I find that the molten wax collects in small globules around some of the cells so it's best to quickly follow by scratching with an uncapping fork to disperse these globules which would otherwise stop these cells from emptying properly.
A small amount of wax won't stop the centrifugal forces of a spinner!

Just curious as to what happens to the wax!?
I was expecting to see it dripping from the bottom, but it seems to disappear altogether.
No wax cappings for candles?

I more-or-less melts and retracts from the cap onto the nearby walls. Hardly any is lost and the bees can clean up the frame super fast with little waste.
Let them clean them up for a couple of days, and bag them for next year :)

A hand-held hair dryer like most women have alongside an uncapping fork would also do the job. No need to raid the garage or Screwfxx

Latest posts

Back