This could be interesting!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I was contacted today by a tree surgeon who I have worked with before. He had been asked to tidy up an oak branch that had crashed on to some smaller pines. In the crook of the big branch there was a hole with bees going in and out so his client had asked if he could get them taken out and saved. I've suggested he put the cutting up of the main trunk until early next year....... should be an interesting excersise.

Attachments

• IMG_881.jpg
    IMG_881.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 75
I was contacted today by a tree surgeon who I have worked with before. He had been asked to tidy up an oak branch that had crashed on to some smaller pines. In the crook of the big branch there was a hole with bees going in and out so his client had asked if he could get them taken out and saved. I've suggested he put the cutting up of the main trunk until early next year....... should be an interesting excersise.
I have always wanted to "Transplant" a stump like that and fit a super/Brood box to the rear...
Bore a hole in with a short Tunnel of perhaps bamboo leading into a mounted Hive...
If they use it for honey - great - brood - also great.... What cool feature it would make though...
Bees obviously still using trunk entrance ,,,,, of course...
Hmmm, I wonder if the honey produced would still be "Wild" To me, wild honey always tastes better...

Can't wait to see the work. They look stunning little things, any idea how big the cavity is?
I would guess from the state of the tree that the cavity is quite large. I think there is another entrance now exposed in the middle of the first picture just below the brick I placed over the entrance ( to stop rain falling straight into the nest, but left room for egress). The new entrance was exposed when a rotten branch broke off during the fall.

Before I saw the tree I was going to suggest to the tree guy that if he could cut the relevant section out and hiab it onto my trailer I would take the whole thing away and do the job next year but the tree is enormous.

I would guess from the state of the tree that the cavity is quite large. I think there is another entrance now exposed in the middle of the first picture just below the brick I placed over the entrance ( to stop rain falling straight into the nest, but left room for egress). The new entrance was exposed when a rotten branch broke off during the fall.

Before I saw the tree I was going to suggest to the tree guy that if he could cut the relevant section out and hiab it onto my trailer I would take the whole thing away and do the job next year but the tree is enormous.
I wish you luck, do you think they can survive til spring?

I wish you luck, do you think they can survive til spring?
I think they will survive provided the nest (and queen) have not been damaged too much in the fall.
If I have to take them out over the winter I wouldn’t rate their chances.

That’s quite a tree! Good luck Neil, it will be great if you can save them. Love the idea of hiabing the trunk so you can take them home - a novel way of relocating bees!

Latest posts

Back