Things that keep me awake at night

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce the word "nuc"

• Like "nuke"?

Votes: 45 97.8%
  • Like "rook"?

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
How to promounce the word "nuc" - like nuke (would seem to make sense as its short for nucleus), or as its spelt - like rook ?

Is there a north/south divide?

I need to get out in the rain too.......Rook is a bird......won't get many of them in a nuc.

I think this really depends on what part of the country you come from as in the long vowel sound in book or shorter sound by the southerner as in 'buck'!

20 : 0

The mob has spoken ! :biggrinjester:

Yes, thank you mob. There were a few people in my class who referred to them the other way, but I now feel reassured that they were wrong!

Also newk. How on earth can anyone think they're called nooks????????

Newks and rewks are pronounced the same where I come from bee-smillie.

John Wilkinson

One feels that as it has b*gger all to do with chemistry or physics or even biology then one should delineate ;). It's a box after all :D.

Wrong again keithgrimes.

They' as in the plural, would be nuclei.

One, as in it is a nucleus.

From mensa, mensae (table, in latin) or something similar, bellum, bella (war) and I can't remember the 'us' and 'i' nouns (was it villus and villi?). Such a long time ago when I was 'teached sum latin'.

Regards, RAB

Wrong again keithgrimes.

They' as in the plural, would be nuclei.

One, as in it is a nucleus.

From mensa, mensae (table, in latin) or something similar, bellum, bella (war) and I can't remember the 'us' and 'i' nouns (was it villus and villi?). Such a long time ago when I was 'teached sum latin'.

Regards, RAB

I beg to differ sirrah. Forget the phonetics for a minute. Susbees had written nucleuses (implying plural).I had responded with nuclei. The furthest I got in Latin was amo, amas, amant.:p

one should just call them new-clee-us-ehz.Then, you sir, should have replied: 'They are.....etc' if you were replying to susbees in a grammatically correct manner? OOOh - all this changing of tense, singular/plural, etc, etc.

BTW, I think it was 'amo, amare, amavi, amant' for all the declension, conjunctives or whatever of that particular verb. It was a full 50 years ago that I did latin at school, so a bit hazy now but I think declensions was perhaps to do with nouns?

Regards, RAB

I think this really depends on what part of the country you come from as in the long vowel sound in book or shorter sound by the southerner as in 'buck'!

Sorry to be pedantic but as phonology is my field, the vowel in "buck" would make the pronounciation "nuckleus. Surely no-one would pronounce it this way.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back