Thin Joint Construction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
I am looking at building a retaining wall in the garden and as I am a useless bricklayer I am attracted to the idea of using thin joint construction, using blocks such as the Aircrete ones. I know the foundations and first course have to be placed very accurately level, but after that is it as easy as it looks?

Has anyone any experience of using thin joint construction?

No, but I do remember Tarmac running a trial seven or eight years ago. It was then seen as the coming technology in block laying. From a quick Google, it's well established now.

I am interested in following your experience. Sounds like a useful spring project. Sounds like your girls would know filling all those small spaces with propolis. :)

Use natural stone you will not need to worry about straight lines. Twenty odd years ago when i was in landscaping, we did a retaining wall which held back a fifty foot bank.

We built it out of local sandstone with a 18" concrete backing, putting in 5 terrace's.

Pleased to say its still standing.

hi you could use hollow concrete blocks cross bonding the joints and lay them dry, depending on how high you want to go you can do it in stages, after the first stage (say four courses) fill the cavity's with concrete, in each of the concreted cavity's push in a short length of steel rod, this will strengthen the bond for the next course of blocks, if it is to be a retaining wall, the rods have to go top to bottom and into the footing's.

Regards
John bee-smillie

Sorry, I should have updated this thread. I spoke to the people who make the bricks and they do not recommend them for retaining walls! The problem is the bricks are very light and a retaining wall needs mass to work. So it will have to be ordinary concrete blocks. Might try that tool though.

I have that bricky tool ,looks very easy.yet to use it though .

I bought one the other week, and it has given a perfect finsih on a small wall I have built.

Well worth the money.

Top tip I have which I do not know why they dont mention.

It has some metal guide luggs which enable it to sit correct on the bricks, but these do not allow you to do the first motar row (i.e foundation level), so I took them off laid down the first bed, then put back on for second bed.

I was wondering about that Jim, thanks helps alot :)

Back