They're about today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is indeed a lovely sight :)

Been watching mine today, four hives and a nuke. four new queens and one two year old.

Life is good today.:)

That would make a great calendar photo :)

Yep, mine too. The first time I have seen them so active since autumn....

picture.php

picture.php

:)

Last edited:
It was really warm here today, 18 degrees which is warmer than some days in the summer, so I did a very quick inspection today. Mainly to check stores. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was no cluster.

Futher in I noticed that stores were increasing, 4 new frames of uncapped stores. There were also plenty of bees carrying bright yellow pollen.

I didn't see the queen as I was being quick, but there is eggs and emerging bees, which I had not expected. Further good news is that all my colonies have a lot of bees, not one lost so far this year.colonies not bees!). This all points to a busy start for me.

Last edited:
Mine are eating fondant - and bringing in pollen as if it's really Spring. 18° yesterday, about 15° today.

Mine were out and about today but not as warm as yesterday. At least 18 degrees here then so I inspected. Brood in all stages on 2 frames and the rest full of stores. Bringing in yellow pollen (beige earlier in the week) and also taking fondant. Removed 2 frames of stores to the freezer to help with making 2012 colonies. At least they will have space to put the fondant. Hope they make more room for eggs but they seem to be going well.

Only on Jan 16 you wrote: I have given 2.5k fondant per hive as I thought the bees were too active due to the warm weather and might be using up their stores early. Hives seemed a bit lighter on hefting.

Now over a month later you write: Brood in all stages on 2 frames and the rest full of stores. (my undelining)

Doesn't compute. If only two frames used they could not have hefted that light. Of course they would be lighter, that is clearly indisputable (unless an early dead-out!)

Obviously they will be needing more brooding space shortly if the weather continues warm. Presumably you have supplied comb as replacement? They will not store the fondant (well, hopefully not) as they would need extra water for that, and they will already be needing extra water for the brood, even using honey as feed.

I think we have the typical case of feeding unecessary fondant and already a congested brood area, by the middle of February.

Yes you are right. The hive (I have only one now as the other was stolen) did heft lighter. I now realise not as light as it might have done. With hindsight I could have not put the fondant in as there were quite a lot of stores. However I did not know that in January and thought they had been using them up a bit quickly. Yes I did put foundation in as replacement for the ones I have taken out. Thanks for coming back so quickly.

our bees are out and about too, orangy coloured pollen, a lovely sight to see, were a bit worried about the winter as its our first year, but it looks we've survived so far....

Latest posts

Back