They won't move up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
I have one hive that's bursting with bees, but they won't move up. I've tried two different supers, with foundation from different sources. I've removed the QX, but they still won't go up. I've been expecting to find swarm preparations, but no, they're not thinking of swarming, either.
They behaved in the same way last year. The queen is in her third year, and in her first year they did fill a super, and start on a second one.
Any ideas on why they're like this?
I've already taken full supers from the hives that share a stand with this one, so it's not a shortage of forage.
Time to requeen, I suspect.

I have one such hive. Requeened about a month ago with newly bought queen, still waiting for them to come up...
Hive next to it is filling up super #4.

Both cases the bees are not ready to "move up". Most likely struggling to raise sufficient brood to have enough foragers in 6 weeks time to bring in surplus honey. Then they will draw and fill super(s)...not before. They are acting on THEIR priorities.

To 'force' the build there has to be either backfilling happening or extensive brood set in
limiting stores space (QX fitted), examination would show where stagnancy persists neither
is happening so bees are in "survival mode", idling along.
Any flow may just see them backfill in this instance as they aren't convinced (yet)
Expansion is in the near future. It is that backfilling you should be keeping an eye out for,
then act in moving some frames up.

Bill

In her 3rd year and managed 1 and a bit supers? Definitely time to requeen :)

Doubtful. Lots of brood, very active, no sign of digestive problems. The hive is rammed with bees three deep on the frames.

You won't see any obvious signs of digestive problems with Ceranae, can also be wall to wall brood and packed with loads of young bees.

Take the man's advice, treat for Nosema what have you got to lose?

Take a quick check on dead bees outside the hive, a possible indication on Nosema?
Also spray some sugar syrup / sugar solution over the frames in the super if loaded with plain foundation - can encourage then to go through Qx & up.

Doubtful. Lots of brood, very active, no sign of digestive problems. The hive is rammed
with bees three deep on the frames.

There is no way these colonys are being robbed/attacked, hey?
You're describing loads of new bees, housestaff like.
So it follows foragers must also be in similar numbers by %'age, are they?

Bill

make up some of HM's thymol emulsion, add it to some 1:1 (or even thinner) syrup and spray over the bees for a quick hit.

Also split the brood box with new foundation 50/50 frames with bees and new foundation in each.

Instead of 1:1 syrup you could use neat Vimto cordial..... with an extra bit of sugar in it.

Chons da

Latest posts

Back