They where grumpy today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I did my second full inspection today, and it was totally different to the first one i did. They where not happy at all, bouncing off my suit (mainly my head) flying all around my head and a few even followed me once i closed up.
Onto the inspection 2 more large Queen cells and they have taken down half the sugar syrup i had given them . which was 1kg sugar at 1-1 .
They have made no attempt to move up at all into my MD box :(
It was a quick look inside mainlly for QC as the rain was due and i didn't want to get wet. They are bringing in lots of yellow pollen also.

How many frames of brood and how many of stores in lower box?

Also, do you have QE on?

as the rain was due and i didn't want to get wet.
the bees knew it was going to rain so quite rightly they told you to shut up shop and buzz off.

No Q E on Brood and stores mixed on frames by the looks of it (9 deep frames) and stores only in the middle of the 10 frame 11 frame empty which i wanted to cover over but didn't have time.Drone brood not that much of .

It's as big as the brood box then a ply frame sat on top of the BB and the MD box ontop of that. The hole is about 18 inches by 12 inches

You say they are coming in with yellow pollen, that could mean oil seed rape, if the bees are on that then they get defensive anyway, it was also cold today they also don't like being disturbed when its cold, the bees know best can be something to keep in mind when to inspect or not is in question

Hi Beebreeder It's was warm today here (IOW) before it rained , and yes they are on rape but always have been and this time they got a bit touchy lol
I think they new rain was on the way as Bcrazy pointed out

you could do a shook swarm into your MD then put on your QE then your ply adjustement frame then the commercial box and brood . you would then taking off the commercial and hatched brood after 25 days ...but iam worried why the QCell if they have frames yet to fill

angry bees, two QC could mean dead queen or they are trying to superscede...you need next time to check is the queen still laying? check for grubs even if you cannot see eggs

I might have a look sunday MM . The queen was there 8 days ok but will have a look for her or eggs / grubs .They are bringing in pollen which i thought that theres brood to feed meaning Queen still there.?

Wightbees, not nessesary that because the bees are bringing in pollen its an indication queen is still there.
I have been running a 5 frame Nuc for four weeks now, completely Queenless, just adding uncapped brood as and when its needed, and the bees fly and bring in pollen and nectar as much as my other nornal hives.
No Queen cells yet its too darn cold here in Kent.
Maybe a change over this week-end.
Bob.

Hi MuswellMetro

angry bees, two QC could mean dead queen or they are trying to superscede
You have now got me really beefuddled what's this about a queen dead and superseedure? I do not understand.

Hi MuswellMetro

You have now got me really beefuddled what's this about a queen dead and superseedure? I do not understand.

just wondering if he has damaged the queen and they are trying to superecede, i know bees do not read books, but they are producing Q cells when they have a large amount of room to expand, swarm QC tend and i mean tend rather than are, normally produced when they are running out of room

Bees that are not queenright are more angry, so just sumising, has he kill the queen or damged her and the QC are scrub queens

hopefully it is just the OSR and weather, so i said check for eggs and grubs

Back