They do things on a grand scale in the USA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the thief, Pavel Tveretinov, looks after the bees better than the original owners? We've all seen the videos of how bees are treated in the almond groves in California.

CVB

That works out at about $350 / hive or £270. Not a bad price for aq hive and its residents

Maybe the thief, Pavel Tveretinov, looks after the bees better than the original owners? We've all seen the videos of how bees are treated in the almond groves in California.

CVB

I haven't, but im guessing it's not good :(

There has to be something missing from this story as according to the story he was caught 'tending' 100 hives that he rented out. If he knew bees why would he bother stealing hives when in a very short time he could have 100 hives of his own without stealing any and actually run a legitimate business? I wonder about news stories sometimes (not as much as Donald Trump does though!).

The incentive is plain and simple. He stole them just prior to almond pollination in CA. That is an immediate $180 per hive in his pocket. His total take of stolen hives is thought to be about 1000 so $180,000 for a few nights work.

Re how bees are treated in almonds, one of the guys who had 480 colonies stolen is a top notch beekeeper who cares for his bees. They were his prized possessions as well as his only source of income. He had them scheduled for almond pollination followed by return to North Dakota to make a crop of honey which would have produced another $200 or a bit more per colony. The low life slime that stole them literally stole his livelihood.

Tveretinov had a LOT more than 100 colonies. It looks like he was running about 1000 stolen colonies and had about the same of colonies he built.

Last edited:
FP any chance the bees etc will be returned to their rightful owners?

They located 2/3 of the @500 colonies of the beekeeper from North Dakota. He has them back and is trying to get them into shape again. I don't know the status of the other beekeepers whose colonies were found.

They guy who stole them was released on $10,000 bond. That is ridiculous given that he stole 1000 or so colonies and nearly bankrupted one beekeeper.

Latest posts

Back