They are doing very well :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
We've just got back from inspecting the bees. I was suprised that not many people turned up this time :) Paul asked my eldest if he wanted a look. He loved it. He was so confident and behaved very responsibly, asking good questions the whole time.

The bees have started to draw out the frames either side of the 5 they started with, and also one whole, and two halves of the super. Her madj is filling the cells in the center of the brood, right up to the edges. There is no mesh floor in yet, we will be putting that in next visit. They are having brood and a half, no QE. It was a brilliant session, for both me and my son. We saw a bee being born, so to speak. She was just emerging from a cell. It was amazing :) A few grubs, lots of eggs, a few drone brood. We saw the queen, she was busy. I am getting more confident too. They weren't smoked, but they were so quiet again. Didn't even know we were there, until they were shook off the frame. Even then there wasn't too many in the air. One bee started to buzz me. I just slowly walked away, and it gave up, then I went back and got on with it. Our mentor noticed and was well pleased with me :) He knows what a big deal this is for me.

Paul gave my son the full treatment. He had a turn in taking a frame out, full of bees ( made sure it didn't contain the queen though ), and showed him everything he showed us. As he took the brace comb off, he gave it to my lad.....it is treated like treasure here at the moment. All his friends are examining it as I type :) He want's to come with me next time, and asked if we could get our own bees. He said he wants to be a bee keeper when he's older....I told him he could be a bee keeper now if he likes :) I'm going to try and get him involved as much as possible, with him getting to the age he is, there isn't much we do together anymore ( he's 11, 12 in a fortnight ) but we really enjoyed being together doing this tonight. So, bees doing VERY well, being nice to us still, so we must be doing something right lol. :party:

All sounds good :)
My 12 year old is really into it too, thought I'd catch her before she starts slamming doors etc in the next year or two lol!

Sounds brilliant Karen - glad your son is so interested. Mine is older 22 almost 23 - and claims no interest...but the number of times I go to have a look and find him gazing into the fruit cage watching them! LOL

Excellent news...

Warning... it's infectious... lol

PH

Karen - it sounds like you have a new helper.

Our 10 yr old son is fascinated by them (in between trying to light fires, Ray Mears style) and has also expressed a desire to have some of his own. It's been really good for him to learn alongside us. He has more time to read than we do, so often knows the answer when we don't, which I think he finds satisfying.

There's another forum member who started with a single hive at about 10 (CB are you out there somewhere?) but has rather more than that now!

Thanks everyone, you are all so sweet and have been so supportive. This has been a great journey for me, before 1st July, you wouldn't have got me near a bee! I would have screamed my head off if one flew near me, I was terrified. It wasn't some girly fear, I would get physical symptoms too. How far have I come in such short time? :)

Barratt, you've given me a good idea. My lad has always struggled with reading, therefore doesn't want to. I am going to suggest he reads my bee keeping basics book. He is so interested, I think he may do it. It's such an odd age, and I am so glad there is something we can do together now. I have created one of the next generation of beekeepers :) How cool is that?

Yes Poly, it is very infectious......Warning : Infectious Bees ;)

Just realised, our bees must be so laid back. We inspected at about 6pm, therefore everyone at home, and no reaction! Good bees to have at the school me thinks :)

Speaking as a bloke, give him a bee book to read, and leave it in the loo...
(it's the only place we can read in peace).

PS - this is only partly in jest - our son wouldn't read until we put the books in the bog

Well done :). Bees here getting antsy (though still ok) with wasps and erratic nectar flow, so sounds like you're lucky.

Children....my nearly nine year old loves to help but she is still a bit more of a liability than a help. She comes to BKA meetings but is the only child there. My 13yo son has no idea how many hives we have and doesn't seem interested - old enough for irrational fear is my guess. Of my older ones the 19yo is the only one interested...she's extremely switched on to helping when she's around (uni) but doesn't care much for our other animals/livestock (preferring the veg patch!).

Children....my nearly nine year old loves to help but she is still a bit more of a liability than a help. She comes to BKA meetings but is the only child there. My 13yo son has no idea how many hives we have and doesn't seem interested - old enough for irrational fear is my guess. Of my older ones the 19yo is the only one interested...she's extremely switched on to helping when she's around (uni) but doesn't care much for our other animals/livestock (preferring the veg patch!).

Susbees, I did worry that he would behave daft, but I was so proud of him. No bravado or showing off. He listened to instruction, and was at ease taking out frames from the brood box......like he'd been doing it for years. He treasures that brace comb lol, but it's a novelty at the moment, for us both :)

Beehive lodge, I would love to attend Abbey Hey regularly, but can only do so when I get a lift off the guy who will be taking care of the bees with me. That's who was with me last time. I got a lift down on his motorbike, not been on one for years lol. I don't think he'll be going much as he didn't think he got much in the way of experience with there being so many people. I think it would be nice though, just to get to know other beekeepers in the area. I don't drive though so it would be a bit of a pain in the arsenal bussing it. Have a good time though, say hello to Paul for me :)

Kaz

PS How are you supposed to use that multi quote thing? I wanted 2 quotes from two different pages and it cleared my message when i went back to copy it :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back