They’ve chomped through the honey…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I had a colony that had capped over a few super frames but…they then swarmed so the super was left partly filled. I went in yesterday and they have happily re-queened which is great.

But in the meantime they’ve partly eaten the honey from the super frames. What should I do now…just store the partly filled frames until next year…or somehow encourage the bees to completely empty the frames?

drex

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Why do you need to do anything.? I would just let them be and see what happens. The swarm will have taken honey with them. The parent hive will have fewer foragers but no new brood to feed for a while ( depending on time line) .
Plenty of time yet for them to sort themselves out

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Why do you need to do anything.? I would just let them be and see what happens. The swarm will have taken honey with them. The parent hive will have fewer foragers but no new brood to feed for a while ( depending on time line) .
Plenty of time yet for them to sort themselves out
Ok thanks. I just wasn’t sure if it was better to nadir it.

I guess the super needs to come off in a few weeks and it would be better if it was empty wouldn't it…for winter storage?

ericbeaumont

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
they’ve partly eaten the honey from the super frames
Yes, as Drex, delay action for quite a while.

Depending on your local nectar income in an August drought, they may finish the lot. If so, remove the super and feed.
encourage the bees to completely empty the frames?
The time for that is when the colony contracts for winter, but ivy is yet to flower and they may re-fill the box.

Nadiring can be done after that, or you could put the super above the crownboard with a small hole: bees will see it as outside the nest when contracting and bring stores down into the BB.

If you nadir now wasps will have easy access to the combs.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I think there is a lack of nectar at the moment…I’m feeding a couple of other colonies as they have almost no stores. Most bees are returning covered in white which I understand is from the Himalayan balsam…I don’t think balsam provides much nectar, just pollen

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Do224 Himalayan balsam is a big source of nectar, the honey from it is so light. most of my honey comes from balsam at this time of year going into October before the frost kills it off.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
I think there is a lack of nectar at the moment…I’m feeding a couple of other colonies as they have almost no stores. Most bees are returning covered in white which I understand is from the Himalayan balsam…I don’t think balsam provides much nectar, just pollen
That highlights the seasonality and regionality of the UK vi-a-vis nectar flows. I don't have (yet) Hima.Balsam as far I I know in the area my bees forage; I do have knapweed coming along amongst other wild flowers plus there is some ragwort flowering somewhere nearby - piling in the pollen.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Do224 Himalayan balsam is a big source of nectar, the honey from it is so light. most of my honey comes from balsam at this time of year going into October before the frost kills it off.
Depends where you are. We have masses here in the Aeron valley and the bees visit it certainly but they never bring much in.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Most bees are returning covered in white which I understand is from the Himalayan balsam…I don’t think balsam provides much nectar, just pollen
Do224 Himalayan balsam is a big source of nectar
You repeat it often enough and it may come true. It's a source of nectar accepted, but very poor nectar which often doesn't come up with the goods and bees will often ignore it

madasafish

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
Lots of HB here. Pollen yes: but nectar flows from it appear miniscule.

The Poot

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only 2 now
There was lots of HB here too, but I’ve pulled it all up and composted it.
So no pollen or nectar here....

Latest posts