The Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xwb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Nat, 1 TBH+1 Nuc
Okay so, i got my first two colonies this year and they have both built to the outer frames of the brood box. But bad weather and winter has arrived!

Is there anything I should be doing? feeding them? treating them for Varroa?

Would much appreciate any help:)

Thankyou

Hi

I think it may be more of a case of what you should have done already.

Did you get the hives late/are they heavy or light/have any sort of treatments been done already.

If you can answer these then we may be able to give you more complete answers.

Regards Ian

Probably a bit too late to do anything other than tuck them up for winter (and hope for the best).

I see you posted early in the summer and this is your second. You should really have been reading the forum regularly, referring to your mentor for assistance, or at least joined you local BKA in the meantime.

Do you mean they have only drawn to the outer frames (9 or ten frames depending on type) or including the outer frames?

If it does not include those two frames, I would replace them with dummy frames to reduce the space available to keep warm and add extra insulation - do it on a warm day while they are flying..

Probably should have fed sugar syrup much earlier, but it is now important to know how much stores are present and possibly feed candy later, as required, or even now.

I would make sure they were adequately insulated, depending on topography, prevailing winds etc, (you give little information regarding your colonies, actually), with appropriate ventilation.

You should have already treated for varroah, or at least checked regularly for mite drop to ascertain the loading in the colony. You may need to give a treatment around the end of the year (oxalic acid trickled on the seams of bees).

A very high mortality rate occurs in wild colonies in their first year - mostly due to starvation. Colonies need nurturing to get them established with adequate stores, and monitoring for health to enable them to have the best chance of survival over the winter months.

I wish you luck.

Regards, RAB

ohh, i'm not sure how much they weigh, they were 5 frames June this year and they were treated for varroa at that time.

Okay well ill contact heather (my helper) this weekend. I know I should have been more attentive but as I'm 15 I'm taking my GCSE's this year so things are a little hecktick.

Thanks for the advice

Things are not always obvious, dont give yourself a hard time over it, i am surprised however that your "Helper" did not think to prompt you about prep for the coming winter.

Get hold of a slab of fondant and stick a slab on each hive over the CB hole. just in case they are light on stores.

Aaahhh ! I have phoned the monkey a few times but no reply. left messages re feed. I will have to pop over and heft. The bees are still out and about down here - but maybe too late for syrup- will have to try. :toetap05:

Hi

Well done Heather, I am sure you can knock them into some sort of shape.

Regards Ian

Will they take fondant better than a thick syrup at this time. I have fast feeder and frame feeder- and fondant- which best to take round to him Bound to be light if they have had no feed as they are still out and about, burning up energy!! I wont let him lose them - they were my Nucs!!

Why not try fondant and syrup?
Well done you for taking on a teenager..

And I will demo an Oxalic trickle on his colonies this winter!! Must be a little more persistent with my help - for the bees sake :toetap05::)

I've had colonies taking home-mixed syrup in the last 2 weeks but now I'm putting on bakers fondant. The bees were flying a little yesterday, and most were also aggressively telling us they didn't appreciate the mouseguards going on. You might get away with feeding one of the inverted syrups (Ambrosia or Apiinvert) as it's still quite mild and they can take these easier and quicker. Otherwise go for a fondant as others have mentioned.

Well done XWB for taking up a new and facinating hobby. Just a friendly word of caution which applies to old and young beekeepers alike. From May onwards watch out for swarm cells or you will lose your bees. You must find time to check them even if things are hectic.

:cheers2:Chris

Chris, I will be a little more pushy with my mentoring.:toetap05: He lives near me but has not returned my calls to see if all well.

Cattle Prodder usually works with Nippers ...... :reddevil:

xwb,
see if you can get hold of a couple of bee books to read over the winter, in between your other studies.

Adam

Latest posts

Back