The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine seem to be flying in the light rain between the monsoons.

But the temp is till quite high here - feels sticky and humid so guess that encourages them??

Over two weeks since I examined my bees , weather today is sunshine and showers (more showers than sunshine).
Rose bay willow herb is no where near ready to flower . My coxs orange pippin hasn't set any fruit , blackberry flowering is patchy, altogether a challenging year so far :(
VM

Just watched my aviation short forecast.

Basically more of the same for at least the next 10 days...

ITLD: how are your colonys with NZ queens faring just up the road from me?

We have not needed to feed them at least. Actually they were on show on 24th June for a pre arranged visit from the Cheltenham branch of Gloucs BKA and there was a good turnout. I drove down for the day to be there (860 miles in one day round trip, was tired the next day.)

The BEST of them got three Lang deeps of honey so far, the poorest just the one, also there are almost as many splits as there are parent colonies, and the vast majority of them are now with laying queens and 4 to 6 combs with sealed brood. In gaps between the wet spells there is a lot of nectar to be had, which seems clovery, but has a slight lime tang to it suggesting there are a few limes out now as well. I like the area (not least because probably the best burger van I ever frequented occupies a layby just opposite the Co-ops main farm there) and the bees seem to as well.

The best opinion on how they are doing would be from someone who was in attendance rather than myself as the owner, so if anyone who WAS there wants to chime in please do.

Awful weather

Cheer up Sunny Raes! In Martinstown near Dorchester during the summer of 1954 12 inches of rain fell in one day and that was long before the Climate Change Doommongers appeared on the scene! This is only the cliamate having one of its cyclical cycles. Have patience and all will come right in God's only time.
My bees have given me 30 lbs off one hive of floral honey and 49 lbs of rape honey from 2 hives the latter even with 2 swarms They are working away on the Lime and blackberry and a bit of rain does not put them off one bit only a severe shower and as soon as that is over out they go again. I am only waiting for some frames to be capped and then some extraction. Himalayan Balsam is waiting in the wings for late August and September

Day 15 , managed to inspect all colonies . all queens laying BAS. NQCs :) One new queen (expected) but took my eye off her to grab marking kit; too late, lost her . No point in relocating her , get her next time :)
Weather hot and humid , forecast dire . glad I know what they're up to :D
VM

In the Bible it says that it rained for 40 days and it was a disaster, in England they call it summer!

ITLD: how are your colonys with NZ queens faring just up the road from me?

Just a quick update as have just had my midweek briefing with Kristjan, my man on the spot down there.

New nectar flow started up from Clover and Lime, and all colonies, including the new seasons splits, are putting the first of it upstairs today.

At Down Ampney they are doing well, and have returned to expansion mode after a gap spell. Almost all the young queens are laying.

At the Hereford end they have made 200 new colonies up, split out of 180 in the area. In excess of 90% of the splits now have mated laying queens in them, and a majority are now with 6 to 8 frames of sealed brood (Langstroth), plus of course the old parent colonies continuing as normal. So all in all they seem to be doing fine.

We will leave them there for about another fortnight, then it will be off to the heather for them. (Same process as shown in the albums section.)

Even if bees do fly out in the rain - is there any nectar for them to collect or does the nectar get washed out?

Here in Powys its been a nice day today but otherwise mostly rain. Another record breaking cold, dry winter. Drought in April/May. Floods in June.
I dont think any hay was made in this part of the world last month and the silage wasn't anything special either. On the bright side for a bee if the sun does come out for a day, theres a lot of meadows that haven't yet been mown, plenty of clover etc.
Blackberry and Clover now in flower.

Weather might be improving towards the end of the month:

http://blogs.channel4.com/liam-dutt...g-north-turning-brighter-warmer-olympics/1561

Each day, as well as looking at the weather forecast for the next five days, I also take a look at the general trend for the next few weeks.

Earlier this week, there were hints that the jet stream would head further north towards the end of the month. At first, I was doubtful as it had suggested the same a few weeks ago for early July – and, as we know, that certainly didn’t come to fruition.

However, for a few days in a row now a number of different weather computer models have been suggesting a trend for the average position of jet stream to drift northwards during the next two weeks.

It’ll be a gradual process, so don’t expect to open the curtains tomorrow and be greeted with blue skies and a heat wave.

What you will notice though during the next two weeks is that unsettled weather will tend to become increasingly confined to north western parts of the UK – Scotland, Northern Ireland and north west England.

Elsewhere, whilst there’ll still be some showers or the odd rainy day, it’ll be drier than of late with more in the way of sunshine.

Temperatures are likely to be higher with a trend towards the range of 19-25C – especially across England and Wales.

I inspected all seven of my hives today and at the moment there is no prospect of getting honey from any of them. They have enough stores for themselves and they all look in good condition. HB is just coming into flower and all colonies are within easy reach of it so I may get some honey in September.

I inspected all seven of my hives today and at the moment there is no prospect of getting honey from any of them. They have enough stores for themselves and they all look in good condition. HB is just coming into flower and all colonies are within easy reach of it so I may get some honey in September.

My hives are swimming in a huge nectar flow..and I'm not that far away.

Like wise , the honey that was in the supers has been eaten !
My long term observations about the commencement of the main flow in these parts has certainly missed the start dates this year.
We will probably get an Indian summer which will compromise Varroa treatments ,further adding to the problems for the bees !
Worst year for me but at least my house has been spared from any floods .
VM

We will probably get an Indian summer which will compromise Varroa treatments ,further adding to the problems for the bees !

Honey or varroa treatments? - decisions decisions. I've already seen a deformed-wing bee in each of two of my hives, without really looking for any signs of disease, so I'll probably just take what I can get on the honey front and press ahead with thymol treatment in mid-late August.

It rained on St. Swithin's day, which apparently means anoth 40 days of rain on the way...

The weather forecasters keep on saying in a month it will be better, by that time most of the pollen plants, apart from ivy, will be gone

Latest posts

Back