The smell of a swarm!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it just me? or do other people notice a distinct smell when your head is in the middle of a swarm!

It is usualy into my welly's by then Grizzly!!!!:puke:

Possibley Bannana, but there is s strong smell.

I think that often you are either head-down and not necessarily aware that it's a swarm or realise it and are thinking of other things than the smell. Whoops there goes half the colony!

I'll try to bear in mind to pay attention next time I find myself in a swarm situation. Good point.

Hombre

I am refering to when catching a swarm e.g 15 ft up a ladder and head in the swarm.

My mind is one with the swarm, and I think the queen is controling me:confused:

Early days Jim, not had that particular pleasure yet I can imagine that it might be a bit disorienting/etherial.

I get very imaginative/insecure when up tall ladders. Springy ones put my imagination into overtime and I just can't contemplate my head in a buzzing swarm at 15ft. I know that I wouldn't fall, because I would be holding on too tight! :)

I heard someone mention the smell of bananas a while back and at that time it was posed as a question to an apiary manager and I hadn't heard of it previously. Much for me to learn.

There is.

Its the bees scenting to each other to keep the swarm together.

PH

The slight banana smell, I've also noticed this when a colony is in a real strop.

Rich

It's 2-methylbutyl acetate,the very same chemical that gives juicy fruit chewing gum its flavour.

I am going to offer some association members i dont like some juicy fruit at the next apiary meeting, and ask them lots of questions when they open up the hive.
:sifone:

Does your chewing gum lose it's bee swarm on the bed-post over night?
Could it be that you have single handedly sunk the sale of lemon-grass oil overnight.
Novel thought. if you report positive results Admin, will you be off down to your paper-shop to corner the market?

You could also try a pear drop or a little car paint thinner.

The slight banana smell, I've also noticed this when a colony is in a real strop.

Rich

Hence the warning - never open a hive after eating a banana- the smell is very like their panic pheromone apparently - they will kick off!! :ack2:

Back